• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

XFServices.com | Recent Activity as Homepage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

XFServices.com | Recent Activity as Homepage
Okay, so this is what I've developed for The Geek District and you can see it in use here.

Basically, it turns this:
xfservices-recentactivity-hompage-before.webp
(alternative image)
into this:

xfservices-recentactivity-hompage-after.webp
(alternative image)

Readme
As always, on my XenForo Services website.

Issues
I've not really developed this to be released at all, so if you run into any issues, please let me know.

Demo
http://thegeekdistrict.com

Third Party Stuff
This uses Shadab from GeekPoint.net's CustomIndex helper, and is also compatible with the DigitalPoint Spy Add-on for those of you who want your homepage to auto-update. Thank you to both of these great add-on authors for making these features possible :)

Download

Attachments

Things of Note
  1. This adds a new "Home" tab. To make it so that you have only one home tab, it's recommended to blank out the Board URL in the XenForo Options to remove the first tab added by XenForo.
  2. This changes the phrase from "Recent Activity", to "News Feed".
  3. This moves the main forum index to /forum.
  4. This adds an "About XenForo" (board title) to the navbar, linking to /pages/about - I recommend you make a page, or use the excellent XenFans Extra Page add-on.
Todo
  1. Make the tab name configurable, in order to avoid the two "Home" tabs.
  2. Make the Recent Activity phrase configurable as a setting.
  3. Make the route configurable, so you can choose /community or /bbs or anything you desire.
  4. Make About Page link optional/configurable.
Please Note
  1. I have very little free time. I made this add on for my own site only, and as such I have released this add on as is, I will attempt to support it but please do not expect instant answers
  2. If you like the add on, please consider donating ($anything) or purchasing branding free ($10). If you purchase branding free, please contact me via ticket on my site or via PM here and I'll send you the unbranded add-on.

Nope, it's just that I have no recent activity on my site. ( :( ) However if I went to go like some posts, reply to some on the site they'd appear instantly.

Edit: I've just made some activity on the site, you'll see it now :)
Just checked it out now, it looks good mate. If I didn't have a portal page I would definitely use your addon. Looking at it now it looks a lot like twitter almost :)

Mikey, can you add the 'status update' (from the profile pages) option at the top of the recent activity? I would definitely donate to the cause to get this done ..... That would be great :)

Mikey - the more I think about this the more I reckon it could be a portal replacement for me. I'm going to have a play with this.
let me know how you get on. :)
Mikey, can you add the 'status update' (from the profile pages) option at the top of the recent activity? I would definitely donate to the cause to get this done ..... That would be great:)
I'll see what I can do :)
Seems like this is harder than I thought. I'll continue to see what I can do with my somewhat limited free time but please don't expect miracles, or fast. I'll do the best I can :)

Go Mikey Go! Go Mikey Go! :)

I remember Kier mentioning that it was possible in one of the threads we discussed this. I'll see if I can find it to help you with any tips.

This add-on boom the real value of xenforo. The users stream (or the board live life) of xenforo is the perfect digest to use as home page for new visitors. It's an incredible Facebook-style feature under valued as today. It's a shame.

Your add-on can change the history of bulletin board much more than any (conceptually old) portal add-on.
I hope someone like you, or xenforo staff will develop this feature as deserves pushing xenforo to the best and modern board ever.

Congrats for brilliant idea (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom