XF-RSS-Feeds are bad for promotion on social networking services like twitter and facebook

Musika

(Sorry for my bad English)

It's often told here, that the XF-rss-feeds are not working like usual rss-feeds. Usual only Threads had to be listed in a feeds. But in XF every post in a thread, generates another single entry in the rss-feed and only with a link to the first post of the thread.

So if someone has a facebook-fansite driven with Graffiti, twitterfeed or another tool (also twitter or another social networking services using the xf-feeds) too much posts are generated with duplicated threads. Worthless for the use on social networking services, so fans of those sites will often cancel the relationship on this sites, because they feel spamed and flooded.

With the XF-rss-feed its very hard to get a useful fan base on such social networking services and getting new members from those networks for the forum, which the XF-rss-feed in my opinion makes it useless the way its working now.

I like it for twitter with the regular feed, but I hate it for facebook, as the reasons you mention above.

(Sorry for my bad English)

It's often told here, that the XF-rss-feeds are not working like usual rss-feeds. Usual only Threads had to be listed in a feeds. But in XF every post in a thread, generates another single entry in the rss-feed and only with a link to the first post of the thread.

So if someone has a facebook-fansite driven with Graffiti, twitterfeed or another tool (also twitter or another social networking services using the xf-feeds) too much posts are generated with duplicated threads. Worthless for the use on social networking services, so fans of those sites will often cancel the relationship on this sites, because they feel spamed and flooded.

With the XF-rss-feed its very hard to get a useful fan base on such social networking services and getting new members from those networks for the forum, which the XF-rss-feed in my opinion makes it useless the way its working now.

So you are saying everytime someone posts in a thread the xf-rss feed updates and will post onto twitter and facebook (if you are using twitterfeed etc)?

Yes there is no pub date in the feed so every time someone posts that thread moves to the top of the rss feed

So you are saying everytime someone posts in a thread the xf-rss feed updates and will post onto twitter and facebook (if you are using twitterfeed etc)?
Yes.
So its more like a post an comments feed mixed up togehter, but showing only the thread an link to them. In Wordpress for example you have options to get an feed only for postings (which in a board is the first post in a thread) an another only for comments (which in boards are all following posts in a thread). Each in WP generating unique entries in the unique feed, with a correct link to the unique post/comment.

Yes there is no pub date in the feed so every time someone posts that thread moves to the top of the rss feed

Ok, its just that I have been using the rss feeds to post via twitterfeed on twitter and facebook but havent had that problem - infact its been positive since, follows and likes are on the up since I switched to XF

Actually looking again more closely it does repost thread titles but it dosent seem to do it everytime someone posts in the thread - it actually works well for me, maybe its something in my twitter feed settings

How fast do you all find that new threads get indexed? I ask this because my current IPB (have purchased XF but not installed yet), indexes pretty much instantly, almost acting like a WordPress blog in speed of indexing, which is one of the good points.

How have you found XF for speed of indexing?

Are you referring to how fast your site links show in Google? Because that has nothing to do with the software you use but rather the site reputation in Google's eyes. For example, new CentOS forum posts are displayed on Google in less than a minute and their URL format is not at all SEO friendly.

Ok, its just that I have been using the rss feeds to post via twitterfeed on twitter and facebook but havent had that problem - infact its been positive since, follows and likes are on the up since I switched to XF

Actually looking again more closely it does repost thread titles but it dosent seem to do it everytime someone posts in the thread - it actually works well for me, maybe its something in my twitter feed settings
The good thing with twitter feed isnit actually remembers what it's posted,mso it cuts the duplication out.

Are you referring to how fast your site links show in Google? Because that has nothing to do with the software you use but rather the site reputation in Google's eyes. For example, new CentOS forum posts are displayed on Google in less than a minute and their URL format is not at all SEO friendly.
Well, Google *will* throttle itself if the site is running very slow (mainly so Google doesn't wreck a site that it thinks is already having problems keeping up with serving pages). But yes... for the most part Google's indexing speed has to do with how important Google thinks the site is. A site like cnn.com probably gets the home page spidered every few minutes, and Googlebot is probably spidering millions of pages in the domain every day.

How fast do you all find that new threads get indexed? I ask this because my current IPB (have purchased XF but not installed yet), indexes pretty much instantly, almost acting like a WordPress blog in speed of indexing, which is one of the good points.

Last time I timed it, it took 1 hour 26 minutes and 32 seconds before my thread started showing up in google. I really wish I had some of that wordpress SEO.

Last time I timed it, it took 1 hour 26 minutes and 32 seconds before my thread started showing up in google. I really wish I had some of that wordpress SEO.

That is exactly what I am saying. The way the RSS is structured also has a bearing on indexing, and Google's interpretation of your website.

WordPress SEO? There is nothing to beat it.

Top Bottom