• Thread starter Thread starter DirtRider
  • Start date Start date

Would you like to see a forum area like this

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DirtRider

I feel a forum area where the good bad and ugly about services offered here is very much needed. As owners we tend to spend more money at the end of the day on add on and custom work done to our sites than we would initially spend on the forum software itself. I feel we need to be able to easily find out where our money is better spent or rather not spent.

As soon as anyone hits an issue with a developer offering work one of the first things that happen the blame is directed back at the customer for not doing their research properly. Research is important but can be rather a task if information need to make an informed decision is scattered through out this forum.

Only today by chance I found some relevant information that I should have known about before asking for work done by one of the developers. We also need to take into account great work offered is just as importing to know about as is bad work offered.

I know that there is this but it does not cover any other types of work done plus it can take ages to go through every review and as I found is very brief.

I don't think this is a good idea.

Typically people who are happy with add-ons say little or nothing about their purchases or the authors. Developers on this site have a hard enough job getting people to rate their add-ons, let alone write a review. It's those that are unhappy for some reason (some justified, some not) that are generally more vocal. So what we'd likely get with a new area like this are reviews by disgruntled users followed by lots of arguing.

I still think that researching before you purchase is the best solution - reading reviews, looking at the add-on discussion threads to gauge the support given, bug fixes and development. Also users shouldn't expect an add-on that doesn't have some features they require to have them added in the future unless it has been clearly stated that they will. All you should really expect beyond the functionality you get when purchased are bug fixes and updates to make it work with the latest version of Xenforo. Anything else is a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom