XF features

FreshFroot

I would normally say "is it just me or is XF's features addicting?". By that I mean achievements, who quoted etc...

I just found it ironic today. Really how boards like vB and IPB are copying default features of XF.

I noticed a few members at both places begging for a feature like "who quoted me" to be added in as a default measure. I guess it just shows how good XF is... but how sad that people think copying something creative from someone else will make their stuff better.

It as if my comptetitor decides to use twitter and instead of doing the exact same. You would think doing something even smarter or more creative than that would look better. Instead of me going "oh hey X competitor has twitter.. we need one now too"

Oh well I guess some non XF fanboys were bound to copy XF features. It's too addicting.

Actually.. if I'm not mistaken. Someone made a XF skin for vB? Not sure what the point of it is though? Great skin.. but people spend all this effort on trying to make something look like XF or act like XF.. instead of just getting it.

How silly! :p

i've been asking for the quote alert for almost a year in vb.com. they didn't response to my request
I have left them for good
so i conclude that if you want your software to be successful you need to listen to costumer feedback otherwise you would fall down

I would normally say "is it just me or is XF's features addicting?". By that I mean achievements, who quoted etc...

I just found it ironic today. Really how boards like vB and IPB are copying default features of XF.

I noticed a few members at both places begging for a feature like "who quoted me" to be added in as a default measure. I guess it just shows how good XF is... but how sad that people think copying something creative from someone else will make their stuff better.

It as if my comptetitor decides to use twitter and instead of doing the exact same. You would think doing something even smarter or more creative than that would look better. Instead of me going "oh hey X competitor has twitter.. we need one now too"

Oh well I guess some non XF fanboys were bound to copy XF features. It's too addicting.

Actually.. if I'm not mistaken. Someone made a XF skin for vB? Not sure what the point of it is though? Great skin.. but people spend all this effort on trying to make something look like XF or act like XF.. instead of just getting it.

How silly! :p
XF clearly shows the success of some features, like who quoted me, notifications, activity stream. By this they up the standard and competitors will have to follow demand. IPB is implementing this now. I expect that vb will soon do so as well.

I think this is a good thing and competition raising the bar works in all directions.
There are various mods dating back from before 2005 that offer the quoted functionality. And XF's notifications look a *lot* like facebooks notifications. The fact that the concept is not original doesnt make it any less awesome though. Its the implementation that counts and XF has that part covered.

I wish that XF would do the same and implement a reputation system though.

I am a huge fan of what XF will become. I want to switch my board over right now from vB4, but there are still a few mission critical things it needs first. As soon as it gets them I am DONE with vB.

I find several things interesting...

The fact that we were begging vB to give us a Recent Activity list and then I was asking for it from IPB when I swicthed and they both said it couldn't be done, and yet we have it here at xF working perfectly.

I also find it funny that these other forums are quickly copying and trying to catch up, but they are missing a main point.. they are just adding more to their already large script.. Instead, xF started with a nice framework which is easier to run and use.

The last thing I find about this, and it's not funny, but there are so many fans of 'other' scripts that they can't even be bothered to see the benefits of xF and they are talking trash about it.. I can't wait until xF takes over this market and it will, it's just a matter of time before xF becomes the next leader given Kier and Mike's track record.

Jamie

Such as?

And does it really matter? All popular BBS copy features from one another. In the end, it's the customers who win because they get better products.

What you've got to remember is that xF is completely new - they've been able to build in certain functionality from the very start and build it with those features in mind ... and using a completely new framework.

Existing platforms have to build it onto their current infrastructure and that might not always be as easy as starting afresh. Bit like trying to re-cable an existing building for electrics.

Yes - the xF team have implemented it very well.

Yes - the simple, intuitive layout of xF makes it easy to use - even for non-techies ... :)

Yes - they will likely take over the forum world in much the same way they did with vBulletin.

But ... the competition have done innovative things too, and will continue to do so, and that's the thing xF need to keep in mind - although I'm sure they will ... :)

My personal prediction for forum software is for IPS and xF to take the market leading positions over the next couple of years, if not sooner.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

The point with me is: The competition doesn't matter to me anymore - They had 8+ years to update themselves and simply are shown by XFL what can be done with hourly dedication and wanting to do things well.

Case studies, research and development, prototyping and a-b testing is what can get you to innovating end-game solutions, but passion and motivation to do things the right way and do good by the customers .. is what leads to products like vBulletin 3.6 and XenForo or IPB 3.1.

XenForo currently is the modern solution that did something the competitors should have done rather than bloating it up. I am sure in a few years the game has changed, but at that point I am sure XenForo is at their next major roadmap change, and we benefit from that again.

I rather have a good community that is fun and easy to use, and pay good money for it, than constantly having the feeling I need to do this and that etc, .. to get to that point.

Get vBulletin 2 or IPB's first paid version, and compare it against XenForo 1. And imagine this is the '****ty old first version that was lacking so much' - Then you can imagine where it might be in a few years ..

Then get vBulletin 4 and IPB 3.1 and XenForo 1. And imagine it's still that ****ty old first version that's lacking so much, and imagine where vB / IPB .. and xenforo .. will be in a few years.

Yeah - I put my money on xenforo.

I am sure Matt Mecham understands his customers, company and the vB deflectors and (understands that new competition like xenforo could show up left and right) and could go the same route with IPB4, a proper rewrite to battle the outdated technologies, cluttered interface and modern design solutions, blah blah blah ..

Let's hope for those who refuse to stop using vBulletin that vB's parent company has that passion to build great products still, in a few years from now.

i've been asking for the quote alert for almost a year in vb.com. they didn't response to my request
I have left them for good
so i conclude that if you want your software to be successful you need to listen to costumer feedback otherwise you would fall down
Well you are in the right place then.
yes.gif

Such as?

And does it really matter? All popular BBS copy features from one another. In the end, it's the customers who win because they get better products.

Have you seen the bloated nature of IPS? They aren't replacing features with the superior Xen ones, they are adding the Xen features into the million and one options they already have.

To be fair I think the like feature is prity much standard in social networking sites and xenforo (what I feel) made an innovative, brave choice introducing the feature. Let's be honest, Nobody would have expected that the like feature would become such a hit and no solution now would have even thought about implementing it if xenforo devs didn't make that first implementation on a forum product. I think IPB seen how popular it was on here and made the logical step, it was bound to happen and I'm betting vbulletin will make this choice.

However, there's always an however. The thread preview that xenforo created and implemented I feel was a blatant copy from IPB with the only difference being the last post tab embedded inside the post preview.

Not knocking IPB just stating what I seen with my own two eyes and the thread preview box looks the same.

That said, I think xenforo will still set the standard in feature implementation, innovation and creativity. Keep on that path and the rewards will be fruitful. Sorry for my bad english I used a turkish translator, He's standing to the left of me trying to feed me kebabs.

A lot of this stuff that we all are saying is being copied from one software to another is really stock modules used on all web applications.

I mean who was the first to use photo attachments ?

Did everyone copy them ?

How about photo gallery technology, which forum was the first to use that and who copied who ?

XF clearly shows the success of some features, like who quoted me, notifications, activity stream. By this they up the standard and competitors will have to follow demand. IPB is implementing this now. I expect that vb will soon do so as well.

I think this is a good thing and competition raising the bar works in all directions.
There are various mods dating back from before 2005 that offer the quoted functionality. And XF's notifications look a *lot* like facebooks notifications. The fact that the concept is not original doesnt make it any less awesome though. Its the implementation that counts and XF has that part covered.

I wish that XF would do the same and implement a reputation system though.

How is it a good thing to copy someone else? I would think IPB and vB w0uld want to do something creative and DIFFERENT.

I mean I doubt XF would ever copy another competitors feature. Instead they would make something even more creative.

XF makes it like FB, because this is where things are going these days. SOCIAL NETWORKING. Which IPB nor vB have gone into or if they have they have failed miserably.

Put all three boards side by side and randomly have a FB user visit them all. I bet you anything they would pick XF over all the others. Because it is tailored and MADE for the new times now.

What vB or IPB or anyone else wants is basically trying to copy something that is starting to include things for this new time.

No offense, but your just trying to save a place that can't be saved.

Such as?

Has XF copied anything from any competitor so far? I can't see anything here that is not original.

Not everyone copies one another. I know I don't...

I don't go "oh my competitor site just created a FB group.. I have to do the same."

Coke and Pepsi.. they don't copy each other. They try to market in different ways instead of copying each other.

vb4 will probably stay a mess until the rewrite is done.
XF will need a few years to mature though it remains to be seen if it will ever offer the functionality I need. Kier sets his own course and that seems to exclude some very important functions. So that dream isnt coming true either.
I may just build my own dream...

Kier so far is setting a good course. I don't see him and the crew rushing anything. I don't see a new version come out and within 1 week have to patches like vB 4.1. So I'm fine with the way releases are going here.

Sure there is still ways to go, but at least were getting there without major problems.

T

However, there's always an however. The thread preview that xenforo created and implemented I feel was a blatant copy from IPB with the only difference being the last post tab embedded inside the post preview.

Not knocking IPB just stating what I seen with my own two eyes and the thread preview box looks the same.
I'm sure you meant that the IPB one was a blatant copy of the xenforo one.. and if so, I couldn't agree more!

Got to say that seriously shocked me, it was a blatant copy by Matt, not even an attempt to make it different other than the last post tab.. AND I might add, there was a million requests for a "topic preview on hover" for many many years that got completely ignored or shouted down as a useless vB feature that would NOT be included in IPB, until xF came along.

The current scrabble to rip off all the good new features of xenforo is astounding... bet you anything the next version of vB is a direct rip off of xenforo. ;)

Very very disappointing to say the least.

To those that say "everybody copies" No, everyone does not, some innovate, and others imitate.

xenforo is full of some pretty inovative things, and new ways of doing old things, that is currently being copied left right and center.

Has XF copied anything from any competitor so far? I can't see anything here that is not original.

Not everyone copies one another. I know I don't...

I don't go "oh my competitor site just created a FB group.. I have to do the same."

Coke and Pepsi.. they don't copy each other. They try to market in different ways instead of copying each other.
Really? Being able to edit messages, quote messages, post BBCode, upload Avatars and images, etc. are all truly unique to XenForo? C'mon, I like XenForo as much as the next guy, but to honestly say it's a 100% original concept is just wrong. It has clearly been inspired from other successful projects, such as IPB and vB, and that's not at all a bad thing.

Like I said earlier, every board software is going to have ideas and features that were pioneered elsewhere, it's the nature of the industry. If every software had to have fully unique feature sets, I don't imagine any would be all that good.

Really? Being able to edit messages, quote messages, post BBCode, upload Avatars and images, etc. are all truly unique to XenForo? C'mon, I like XenForo as much as the next guy, but to honestly say it's a 100% original concept is just wrong. It has clearly been inspired from other successful projects, such as IPB and vB, and that's not at all a bad thing.

Like I said earlier, every board software is going to have ideas and features that were pioneered elsewhere, it's the nature of the industry. If every software had to have fully unique feature sets, I don't imagine any would be all that good.

Editing, quoting etc.. are ESSENTIALS!! Without them there is no such thing as a forum.

Likes, Who quoted you etc.. are all FEATURES, which are not needed. But others seem to want to copy these features.

I don't believe all software makers need to copy each other to make their scripts better.

it just shows how uncreative they are in making their own ideas.

I guess the only thing XF left out was the Dislike button. I would've clicked that button on your post.

What are they going to invent that is new?

The main thing that is needed is an much more improved 'who's online module' with real time banning capabilities right from that tool, it needs to show things like common user agents, it also needs to show if the IP is already banned versus just showing a list, this can be done with different colors and so on.

Top Bottom