Add-on XF CMS Crowdfund: what features would convince you to invest?

Can you elaborate on that?
Kier's joke about a CMS in the recent HYS is casual pun, but we can hope there is some additional humour tucked away in the comment.

In any case: if XF does not release a CMS in the coming months then I can foresee some developments in this regard.

What has become of this topic? I know it's a couple months old now, but is there no more interest in this? I'd love to see something like this come to be, I think the best way to go about it would be to get devs to commit to the project then setup a crowfund for it and you'll find out soon enough if there's enough interest.

What has become of this topic? I know it's a couple months old now, but is there no more interest in this? I'd love to see something like this come to be, I think the best way to go about it would be to get devs to commit to the project then setup a crowfund for it and you'll find out soon enough if there's enough interest.

I would imagine that developers would be a little hesitant to start a project this large with 2.0 being announced.

the most important feature would be : Support.
the developer needs to provide similar support as provided by @Brogan or @Chris D .
We have enough of those free and cheap unsupported addons , they are wasting our time and efforts, so please make it expensive, but give us a real support.
Wouldn't be better to just extend the functionality if this portal , rather than developing a new CMS from scratch?

Brogans Featured threads and portal is probably the most actively developed plugin on this forum.

XenPorta 2.0 is also supposedly in the works. This will be a premium plug-in however I don't expect any type of quality support to come from the author.

I would imagine that developers would be a little hesitant to start a project this large with 2.0 being announced.

Probably XF 2.0 IMHO will take one year (if you include alpha/beta etc.), so personally i don't think this is the problem, also if with the crowfund you will paid in advance...

Probably XF 2.0 IMHO will take one year (if you include alpha/beta etc.), so personally i don't think this is the problem, also if with the crowfund you will paid in advance...

Will they be paid in advance to rewrite the code a few months after initially developing it or are the investors only paying for a 1.x version?

Personally I would never invest in a crowd-funded add-on, no matter how good it may purport to be.

If a developer just writes add-ons in lieu of a "normal" job, then they should have more than enough time to work on said add-on and get it out quickly.

I have a job and a child to look after, and go to the gym, do housework, sleep, eat, etc., yet I still manage to write code now and again.

If they don't earn enough income from add-on sales to support themselves, then they can do what the rest of us do; get a real job and write add-ons on the side (and have no life).

There are several very popular feature requests in the suggestions forum that relate to a CMS. I would like/need to have a CMS yesterday rather than tomorrow.
But it needs to be considered that XF2 might include some form of CMS, widget system oir layout manager. Mike alluded that XF2 may include a navigation manager or similar requests. XF already contains various content types. We can be sure that KAM at least consider the possibility of offering a CMS/Blog and opening XF2 up to vbulletin/IPS customers in need of such functionality.

Its all up in the air and nothing concrete can be said about it. But still this situation puts a CMS project on shaky foundation. I hope that @Kier & @Mike will start talking about the future of XF2 so that we have some idea about where to go with projects like this.

My current plans are to see what comes of xfrock's "cms" addon. The plans are to use it as a framework and build our own system around it to suite our needs 100%, as opposed to a "one size fits all" mentality with CMS addons.

Dead discussion? No one have updates/ideas about Xenforo CMS?
I think the announcement of XF 2.0 being around the corner kind of killed the idea of a CMS crowdfund. I can't think of any reason a developer would take on such a large project just to rewrite it for a XenForo 2.0 release (which could be a CMS in itself, who knows).

I think the announcement of XF 2.0 being around the corner kind of killed the idea of a CMS crowdfund. I can't think of any reason a developer would take on such a large project just to rewrite it for a XenForo 2.0 release (which could be a CMS in itself, who knows).

Maybe by the summer we will have it. Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom