XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sort by vote and I can't see anything in the top ten of those suggestions that is not already incorporated in one way or another.

And nothing as grand as the world around us is changing so forums must too. What does that mean, AI writing our posts for us.

Seems so many people are waiting for a miracle of some kind. Not one person who has a failing forum will turn it around with a forum upgrade. If they spent more time working on their forum than they do moaning about an upgrade, they would benefit far better than any 2.3/4/9 upgrade will ever give them.

Sort by vote and I can't see anything in the top ten of those suggestions that is not already incorporated in one way or another.
Can you explain, for each of those 10, how the functionality is already incorporated?

Not one person who has a failing forum will turn it around with a forum upgrade. If they spent more time working on their forum than they do moaning about an upgrade, they would benefit far better than any 2.3/4/9 upgrade will ever give them.
Those posts are about as useful as the posts moaning about the people moaning! 😉

Come on Send an alert on a birthday! An ignore system! Social Groups! Scheduled content! Donations! AMP! wordpress sign on. ect. all are, or could be easily implemented on my forums, with existing addons.

Last edited:
Come on Send an alert on a birthday! An ignore system! Social Groups! Scheduled content! Donations! AMP! wordpress sign on. ect. all are, or could be easily implemented on my forums, with existing addons.
I wouldn't be surprised if all suggestions could be or already are available as addons.

I find it quite annoying to make a suggestion, and then get replies telling me about the addon I already have.

The point of suggestions is for those features to be in the core of xenForo, not requests on how to do something with an addon or by modifying.

could be or already are available as addons.
Social groups is available as a 3rd party add-on... but it currently sucks hind teat (in fact, I'd put it a little further south towards the excretion zone).
It's REALLY a pity that XF hasn't considered this after over a DECADE of suggestions and upvotes for it. I'd even pay for a decent first party add-on that allows both group and public calendar access.

The point of suggestions is for those features to be in the core of xenForo

I understand where you coming from, but if a good addon exists then i'm not bothered about it being in the core. Lets say that xF came up with verson 4 and added Blogs, Showcase, Reviews and Classifieds into the core. Even though there we good third party addons out there doing the same. What happens to the developer who already built those similar addons? If he has any sense he's going to stop developing addons for XF. Then we really are just stuck with whats in the core.

Social groups is available as a 3rd party add-on... but it currently sucks hind teat (in fact, I'd put it a little further south towards the excretion zone).

I agree, I'm using one of those already, and while its not perfect it works just about.

I'm also in a similar postion with Events, but I'm more hopeful that we're going to see a first class solution to that soon.

It's REALLY a pity that XF hasn't considered this after over a DECADE of suggestions and upvotes for it. I'd even pay for a decent first party add-on that allows both group and public calendar access.
But things like social groups and events are not core. If they were, they would be of value to all or most users and I am not clear that is the case. I certainly don't have a requirement for either at the moment. Core functionality would be to support the development of the add-ons, not replace them. So even if XF themselves were to get into those areas, I would prefer it be a first party add-on a la resource manager rather than core. Putting a major new function in core effectively makes those of us who don't use it pay for it in our maintenance.

Last edited:
🥵

I'm not a developer, I am customer, same as you. That's their job to look how the world is changing and to adapt to it.
I honestly hate this mentality 🙃.

You feel there is a problem, or that something is lacking... But rather than trying to put into words why you feel that way you cop out and say that it's the developers' job to find and solve vague problems.

The irony is, while it is the developers' job to maintain development and push the software forward, it is YOUR job to understand and communicate your needs and wants for your community. There is no way that any software can be a one size fits all, and each community has different needs and expectations.

The irony is, while it is the developers' job to maintain development and push the software forward, it is YOUR job to understand and communicate your needs and wants for your community.

Exactly. If you leave it to the developers, you get what they think are important. That's why posting and responding to Suggestion threads remains important. That's how they can see what people actually are interested in when they are figuring out what matters. That said, there is value in them bringing their own ideas in and also in recognizing that not everything is possible or can happen when WE want it to happen. There may be other changes needed in order to enable some of the ideas that people bring forward.

There is no way that any software can be a one size fits all
Which is why I tend to push against the idea that everything anyone wants must be "core". I have seen too many good programs ruined by attempts to be all things to all people instead of providing a solid core with extensibility for everything else. I prefer something more modular, where you can add the bits you need/want. Need social groups? Install a Social Group add-in. Need an events calendar? Ditto. But if I don't need those, they aren't even present on my site until I need them.

I honestly hate this mentality 🙃.

You feel there is a problem, or that something is lacking... But rather than trying to put into words why you feel that way you cop out and say that it's the developers' job to find and solve vague problems.

The irony is, while it is the developers' job to maintain development and push the software forward, it is YOUR job to understand and communicate your needs and wants for your community. There is no way that any software can be a one size fits all, and each community has different needs and expectations.
I’ve seen hundreds of good suggestions on there mate, all collecting dust, most of them are made by @Alpha1 , and they sitting there collecting dust. Point of brining new ideas if these will be ignored and most likely won’t be implemented?

Do a bit of research and use your brain pal.

If you are lazy, that’s your homework to do.

I’ve seen hundreds of good suggestions on there mate, all collecting dust, most of them are made by @Alpha1 , and they sitting there collecting dust. Point of brining new ideas if these will be ignored and most likely won’t be implemented?

Do a bit of research and use your brain pal.

If you are lazy, that’s your homework to do.

I'm lazy... but you cannot spend the few seconds writing down what changes you feel need to be made to 'keep up with changing times'.

You tell me to use my brain, but one of the most popular suggestions is mine (and was partially included when I suggested it, along with others) and more importantly I do not depend on XenForo offering every feature I need to make my sites work 🙃.

Again, your job when running a community is to know what your community needs. If you feel you need something to compete or to make your community better you need to communicate rather than just say "that's the developers' job", or you need to talk to a third-party developer to get what you want done.

You can get upset and lash out at me, but that doesn't change reality 😂.

I'm also in a similar postion with Events, but I'm more hopeful that we're going to see a first class solution to that soon.
Pretty sure a well known developer is working on a 3rd party solution for that currently that will exceed anything out there currently.

But things like social groups and events are not core.
Are Resources "core"? Is "media" core?
There's a difference between "core" and 1st party solution. And we aren't talking "core" features here.... XF 2.3 is an overarching "name" for the solutions needed. Currently you have a forum, the RM, and a media gallery all 1st party. And the media gallery originally used to be a 3rd party solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom