XenWord Pro [Deleted]

LPH

LPH submitted a new resource:

XenWord - A Simple WordPress and XenForo Bridge

XenWord is an amalgam of work developed over the past year, including work from xfrocks, fighter1405, and numerous others asking about WordPress bridges in the XF community forums.

Features:
  • Login to WordPress with your XenForo account (user authentication is entirely handled by XenForo)
  • Automatically create XenForo threads for new WordPress posts and pages
  • Match forums to categories
  • Store WordPress comments as thread replies on XenForo
  • Sync and display XenForo...

Read more about this resource...

2 questions:
it supports more wordpress blogs (one for subdomain) for one single forum installation? Like that the articles of blog A in www.site.com are commented on the forum section A, the articles of blog post b in www.subdomain.site.com are commented in the forum B etc.

Can i have a blog in www.site.com and a forum in forums.site.com? Can i have other wp blogs (for the same installation) connected on other subdomains connected in the forum on forums.site.com?

Does it work with characters in the usernames other than english, and more specifically Greek?

Does it work if you have underscores or spaces in your username?

2 question:
it supports more wordpress blogs (one for subdomain) for one single forum installation? Like that the articles of blog A in www.site.com are commented on the forum section A, the articles of blog post b in www.subdomain.site.com are commented in the forum B etc.

Can i have a blog in www.site.com and a forum in forums.site.com? Can i have other wp blogs (for the same installation) connected on other subdomains connected in the forum on forums.site.com?

I had over 50 subdomains tied to one XF community. The challenge was getting a SSO. This is why I changed to subdirectory installation ;)

Last edited:
Does it work with characters in the usernames other than english, and more specifically Greek?

Do you have a language plugin running on the WordPress side?

I do not know about underscores or spaces and will try a few on a local installation and let you know.

The challenge was getting a SSO.

Have you found a solution?

(Thinking...i mean only 1 WP installation, and with this create multiple blogs that point on one XF forum. With this, you don't need a SSO...or i'm wrong?)

Reactions: LPH
Have you found a solution?

(Thinking...i mean only 1 WP installation, and with this create multiple blogs that point on one XF forum. With this, you don't need a SSO...or i'm wrong?)

The three different developers I hired to solve SSO under subdomain installations all failed to get something working. As an aside, one kept the money but never developed any code (rolling eyes).

This is a cookies issue. Each subdomain is viewed as a different WP domain. The WP domain mapping overcomes it and there are code examples out in the wild ... but I wanted something polished and thus tried to hire. Sadly - it was abandoned by each dev over a 1 year period.

In fact, if the mapping isn't set up properly (domain.com and not www.domain.com) then there is an impossible looping error.

Do you have a language plugin running on the WordPress side?

I do not know about underscores or spaces and will try a few on a local installation and let you know.

What language plugin? No. It's just that the language I'm using is Greek, no language plugins whatsoever.

The three different developers I hired to solve SSO under subdomain installations all failed to get something working. As an aside, one kept the money but never developed any code (rolling eyes).

This is a cookies issue. Each subdomain is viewed as a different WP domain. The WP domain mapping overcomes it and there are code examples out in the wild ... but I wanted something polished and thus tried to hire. Sadly - it was abandoned by each dev over a 1 year period.

In fact, if the mapping isn't set up properly (domain.com and not www.domain.com) then there is an impossible looping error.

Okay, but except this (the users will need to relogin) the bridge will work and fully functional for the others features? Can you link me an example for that? example your blogs :-)

When you go to www.xenword.com - you will see it is actually a mapped domain under www.tuxreports.com.
PHP:
Notice: wpdb::escape is deprecated since version 3.6! Use wpdb::prepare() or esc_sql() instead. in /wp-includes/functions.php on line 2913

Notice: Use of undefined constant XENWORD_DIR - assumed 'XENWORD_DIR' in content/plugins/xenword/includes/xenword_activation.php on line 119

That's what i get when trying to view the tuxreports.com site btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what i get when trying to view the tuxreports.com site btw.

Removed earlier set of questions. Thank you for pointing out the error.

Update: While helping someone, I used their browser (TeamViewer) and saw this error. It is definitely a caching issue so I purged the nginx cache and the error was gone.

Last edited:

Just to follow up. I've created a "John-Doe" and "John_Doe" user in XF on a local server and was able to post comments in the forums as well as WordPress side of a thread. I'll try a few other configurations today.

HOWTO Enable XenWord and Disqus within a product on WooCommerce plugin.

Warning: This requires a modification of the disqus.php file located path/to/wp-content/plugins/disqus-comment-system. The changes will be overwritten when the plugin is updated.

Install Disqus and XenWord

Go to line 149 of the disqus.php file and change all of the lines to the following:

Code:
    $replace = get_option('disqus_replace');

if ( is_feed() )                       { return false; }
    if ( 'draft' == $post->post_status )   { return false; }
    if ( !get_option('disqus_forum_url') ) { return false; }
    if ( 'product' == get_post_type() )    { return false; }
    else if ( 'all' == $replace )          { return false; }

Just to follow up. I've created a "John-Doe" and "John_Doe" user in XF on a local server and was able to post comments in the forums as well as WordPress side of a thread. I'll try a few other configurations today.
Thankyou. Let me know if we can try greek letters :)

HOWTO: Change Author Link in Post Information (Genesis Framework)

By default, WordPress links to author pages. When the bridge is enabled, and the author has a XenForo account but not a WordPress account, then the link will be bad.

The fix is to modify your theme's post information. On my site, the post_info was modified to use post_author_link which can be set in XenForo.

Simply add the following code to your Genesis child theme functions.php file:

Code:
//* Customize the post info function
add_filter( 'genesis_post_info', 'sp_post_info_filter' );
function sp_post_info_filter($post_info) {
    if ( !is_page() ) {
       global $XF;
       $xf_author_link = ' <br />Written by [post_author_link]';
       $post_info = 'Published [post_date]' . $xf_author_link;
       return $post_info;
    }
}

XenWord 1.0.0.5 now includes the option to remove the branding in the XenWord Settings Page. This version is not available for download yet because I'm working on a few more changes in the admin panel.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Up to this point, the branding was removed for all the early purchasers of the script. Version 1.0.0.5 has the toggle and anyone who donates is free to remove the link.

New Features in 1.0.0.5
Branding Toggle
Thread Link at end of WordPress Post (in testing by a few people right now)

Issue
A server tossed the following error after XenWord 1.0.0.4 was installed on someone's server last night.

Code:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding()

The fix is to enable mbstring extension in php.

Aah, methinks someone took over the WP/XF bridge. ;)

I may have to get this from you next month, once a couple of clients pay me by the end of this month--I finally have a project now that needs this. The only caveat is that I do need it to work on subdomains and on completely different domains that are under the same Wordpress multisite "network". Or more specifically, as long as one of the staff can come in and make a post that automatically kicks a new thread into XF, that's what works for us, no matter how they have to sign in. I'm not fussy about that!

Fingers crossed a Promote Thread feature comes along in the future. This would really kick things up a notch.

Top Bottom