XenWord Pro [Deleted]

OK, I have a question--I read that with "tweaks" that this add-on can be used if the directory structure on the server is different than standard. I'm comfortable with PHP and working with Apache.

The way I have things on the server to keep things organized, in essence the organization looks like this:

(web root)/forum/* = forums.oursite.com
(web root)/wordpress/* = www.oursite.com

Also, we will be using that WordPress installation as a network, and will be mapping them both as subdomains and as separate domains. There is a really nice plugin for WordPress that easily lets you set up new domains and manage them (beyond what is available in WP's core). On the server I simply "park" additional domains and subdomains on the /wordpress directory. Not quite automatic but, rock solid.

Do you think we can make this work? My finger is twitching over the Buy Now button... ;)

... once a couple of clients pay me by the end of this month--

Yeah, getting paid is important :)

The only caveat is that I do need it to work on subdomains and on completely different domains that are under the same Wordpress multisite "network". Or more specifically, as long as one of the staff can come in and make a post that automatically kicks a new thread into XF, that's what works for us, no matter how they have to sign in. I'm not fussy about that!

In its current condition, this script works multisite enabled and can handle domain mapping. The issue is getting a SSO. The WP posts definitely go into the forum assigned and the comments show in WP and XF.

Fingers crossed a Promote Thread feature comes along in the future. This would really kick things up a notch.

Yeah - this is a feature on the planning board. There are a few other features with higher priorities needing attention.

OK, I have a question--I read that with "tweaks" that this add-on can be used if the directory structure on the server is different than standard. I'm comfortable with PHP and working with Apache.

The way I have things on the server to keep things organized, in essence the organization looks like this:

(web root)/forum/* = forums.oursite.com
(web root)/wordpress/* = www.oursite.com

Also, we will be using that WordPress installation as a network, and will be mapping them both as subdomains and as separate domains. There is a really nice plugin for WordPress that easily lets you set up new domains and manage them (beyond what is available in WP's core). On the server I simply "park" additional domains and subdomains on the /wordpress directory. Not quite automatic but, rock solid.

Do you think we can make this work? My finger is twitching over the Buy Now button... ;)

This is close to my former configuration, with the exception that the location of WordPress is in the root and forums is in /community. I used to map each blog (domain mapping) with it's own subdomain and the XF was community.domain.com. It ran that way for several months

My biggest error was setting www.domain.com as the main instead of domain.com ....

New Feature: Enable or disable a link to the discussion forum below the WordPress post content.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In its current condition, this script works multisite enabled and can handle domain mapping. The issue is getting a SSO. The WP posts definitely go into the forum assigned and the comments show in WP and XF.

That should do the trick! SSO isn't a high priority but it's nice to have. The one bit of software that really gave me fits was Amember--documentation was very poor, and the sign-on was flaky. Even after messing with it for a month, I still never could figure out which link would keep me logged in reliably.

Yeah - this is a feature on the planning board. There are a few other features with higher priorities needing attention.

I like the sound of that!

My biggest error was setting www.domain.com as the main instead of domain.com ....

I know...I should have done that on one of my WP networks. Before I set up eight other sites on top of it! :D

Reactions: LPH
Work on XenWord 1.0.0.6 started last night. This is a major re-write. These changes will allow more features to be added in the future.
As of this morning, activation-deactivation works (with new 'Getting Started' link from plugin to settings), and the basic structure of the admin panel works with faqs and readme available. The settings and system status panel will be worked on tonight.

Are users added to the Wordpress database as well or is everything handled completely by Xenforo's db?

In the current state, all users are handled by XenForo. Synchronizing users is not something I feel comfortable in tackling yet. I actually do it manually in phpMyAdmin.

There are technical reasons:
* password handling
* WordPress development since 3.5 has changed the handling of Users several times.

If you need something right now for handling users than please consider:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xf-wordpress-bridge.1833/

or consider http://xenforo.com/community/threads/yet-another-wordpress-bridge-calling-for-testers.66935/

Light-bulb moment :)

Just typing out-loud here ...

I was looking at the front end of how XenForo associates accounts between Google+, Twitter, and am anxious to look at the XF 1.3 code because this bridge should use the same method; associate the XF account with WordPress user account. This would allow the person to login to XF with their WP credentials.

Now, I prefer a unified login and registration. Actually, I prefer sites with one step, verify, done.

It would be an extension, then, of the XF model. Man - I want to see XF 1.3 code now.

@LPH, I'm looking at this as replacement for a not so well working add-on from ages ago...
when you mention WP permalinks structure, is this a general advice or is it tied to your mod somehow? I'm using %postname% only on a large traffic install, as far as I know this issue was solved a long time ago.
So does this means that I can get rid of the post id from the url and it will still run fast? Or is this for pages only?

Yes. To the first question.

@LPH, I'm looking at this as replacement for a not so well working add-on from ages ago...
when you mention WP permalinks structure, is this a general advice or is it tied to your mod somehow? I'm using %postname% only on a large traffic install, as far as I know this issue was solved a long time ago.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Someone was having problems with the new thread_link feature and I was trying to figure out why the conditional was causing an error. I'm still scratching my head on that one ! It's working on his site now but don't ask me why the conditional had to be removed.

Anyway, permalinks without numbers first is a general statement.

How about an addon that makes Wordpress the master and creator of the account, then auto signs into Xenforo?

It's an idea worth thinking about but the user association would probably be better. This would mean neither is a master which would fix the issues with WordPress membership programs. Specifically the login for WordPress would not be redirected.

Regardless, it's a distant thought right now because I'm working on getting the plugin developed in the WordPress boilerplate. The admin panel was working two days ago but now I'm concerned about a new thread_link option I added. It's going to take some reading on my part.

And .. the good news ... the plugin is working with WordPress 3.8.1 !

We've been using the XenScripts wordpress bridge for quite a while, would there be any major issues migrating to this one ? I'm thinking in particular hundreds of existing WordPress posts that have all their comments already in the Xenforo database, would it be a lot of work to keep those comments working in WordPress ?

We've been using the XenScripts wordpress bridge for quite a while, would there be any major issues migrating to this one ? I'm thinking in particular hundreds of existing WordPress posts that have all their comments already in the Xenforo database, would it be a lot of work to keep those comments working in WordPress ?

Hi

I've answered the more technical upgrade issues in a PM. Let me know if you have any other questions. Basically it's important to have a good backup before proceeding. ;)

What is the best way to download an upgrade? I tried activating the one you sent via email but it threw an error. I thought I'd just remove that and start with the most current in case something changed.

Code:
Fatal error: Can't use method return value in write context in /............./wp-content/plugins/xenword/includes/xenword-thread-link.php on line 16

What is the best way to download an upgrade? I tried activating the one you sent via email but it threw an error. I thought I'd just remove that and start with the most current in case something changed.

Code:
Fatal error: Can't use method return value in write context in /............./wp-content/plugins/xenword/includes/xenword-thread-link.php on line 16

That is definitely the nasty error in 1.0.0.5. It oddly does not show on my test box or my live production site. Regardless, I sent you 1.0.0.7 in email a few moments ago with the fix and a few more information in the system status report area of the panel.

Let me know if there is still a problem.

HOWTO: Use your Google Account to Log Into WordPress

This is just too cool :)

XenForo 1.3 Beta 1 was installed on the local server.
Google Client ID was created and placed in XF admin panel
Logout
Login with Google, associate the Google ID with XF admin account ...
Go to WP/wp-admin
Voila !

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 6.09.49 PM.webp

Unfortunately I had to change my normal naming of the domain from http://lph to http://localhost ... but otherwise ... this worked like a charm.

Update: Tested with XenWord 1.0.0.7

Last edited:
Top Bottom