1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XenForo vs phpbb

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by CarpCharacin, Oct 16, 2016.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Active Member

I know XF has more features than phpbb, but what makes the XF core better than the phpbb core?

2. The Matrix

The Matrix Member

Yep, xF setup and adminCP is very powerful & easy more than phpBB.

CarpCharacin likes this.
  3. ŽivaAkcija

ŽivaAkcija Well-Known Member

phpbb is a worst forum script ever, cannot compare it with xenforo in any features.

4. CarpCharacin

Why do you dislike phpbb so much? I manage 2 sites that are running phpbb.

5. ŽivaAkcija

becouse it is, worst forum script ever, so bad coded, so bad run update to new version, so bad install plugin and more ......

6. CarpCharacin

phpbb 3.1 and 3.2 use extensions instead of mods. It is actually pretty easy to update phpbb with the automatic update package.

7. ŽivaAkcija

good luck with phpbb :confused:

8. meetdilip

meetdilip Active Member

Xenforo is more comfortable than phpBB. I have tried both as admin and end user. But the good thing about phpBB is, it's free, works fine and actively developed.

The Matrix and CarpCharacin like this.
  9. CarpCharacin

I definitely prefer XF over phpbb.

10. CarpCharacin

I know that XF is better than phpbb from a features and user experience standpoint, but what about from a codebase standpoint?

The Matrix likes this.
  11. CarpCharacin

What makes the core of XF better than phpbb?

12. Dakota Storm

Dakota Storm Well-Known Member

You use both, you decide.

Amaury likes this.
  13. CarpCharacin

I like XF more.

14. Dakota Storm

Dakota Storm Well-Known Member

Then that's all that matters

Amaury likes this.
  15. sadiq6210

sadiq6210 Active Member

Why do you like xenforo more than phpbb?
    Your answer will be the answer for your first question

16. CarpCharacin

I like XF because it is more user friendly. I have always liked XF more, but I posed this thread because I wanted to know what made the XF core more powerful than the phpbb core.

17. AndrewSimm

AndrewSimm Member

The question is actually a fair question. I think what is being asked is outside of the UX what makes XF a more powerful forum software. This question be suited for someone that has developed in both phpBB and XF. I don't think XF has had the success it has just because people like the layout of the forums or admin panel better. It wouldn't be too difficult to make any forum software look like XF.

CarpCharacin likes this.
  18. matthewalan

matthewalan Active Member

I have worked on custom themes for both, and XF is definitely more user friendly than phpBB. The underlying code is better, the software has more features, the software just feels more modern, and overall I recommend XF if you are able to spend money on your project. If not, phpBB is a good choice.

19. The Matrix

The Matrix Member

20. CarpCharacin

Is XF more advanced than phpbb?