XenForo user ranks

MilesDB

What user ranks do we have right now?

XenMod
XenForo Developer

Except for the last one, none reflects the level of user's technical knowledge. I am proposing to introduce two new ranks regardless of their post count.

XenCoder
XenSkinner

This way everybody knows the wizard dogs running around here.

I don't really think the official forum is the place for that, it sounds more suited to the vB.org equivalent to me.

How do you propose someone meets the criteria to wear one of these ranks? Some mods require virtually no technical knowledge but can be incredibly useful. Would those authors be worthy of becoming XenCoders?

Some skins are bound to be retina-bogglingly hideous, but it'd be hard to separate those from the well designed efforts and say 'Sorry your work isn't XenSkinner standard'

It has been said that there won't be vB.org alike for XenForo. So, the modding community and official forum are gonna be under the same roof.

If "advanced" but "unknown" users keep posting technically valuable information, they could be promoted to tech ranks. Other than that there will be understandable drawbacks to such a setup that could be remedied case-be-case.

Doesn't sound like a great idea to me, to be honest. You'll get tons of people who make a couple (ugly) CSS changes and now suddenly want to be 'XenSkinner's. :rolleyes:

Doesn't sound like a great idea to me, to be honest. You'll get tons of people who make a couple (ugly) CSS changes and now suddenly want to be 'XenSkinner's. :rolleyes:
but at least they're contributing. Sure, some people may not want their contributions but it's a contribution nonetheless!

but at least they're contributing. Sure, some people may not want their contributions but it's a contribution nonetheless!
But it would reduce the value of the 'XenSkinner' and 'XenCoder' titles. If 20% of forum members are 'XenSkinners' or 'XenCoders', what's the point of the title in the first place? :)

I think it's a good idea. But it shouldn't just be for anyone. Just those who make useful conbributions. I always find it nice when I see the user rank of someone who has contributed and it just makes those people more identifiable. Because no matter how good a forum software is(and this is a good one), the community is what can bring people to a software. Like if you have two similar forum software, but one has more mods and styles. Which one do you go to probably? It's just the recognition that they deserve.

But it would reduce the value of the 'XenSkinner' and 'XenCoder' titles. If 20% of forum members are 'XenSkinners' or 'XenCoders', what's the point of the title in the first place? :)
For coders, sure, there should be some form of criteria because that can actually be judged. For skinners, unless they're coding the skin (which should be coders), then it's entirely based on aesthetics and how can we refuse someone the title of skinner just because the community doesn't like the design :P

You could maybe introduce a XenContributor, and then have it at the discretion of existing, guess that would be Kier and Mike currently, title holders the promotion of a person to the new ranks perhaps? So it would be via community decision done in private or what ever.

The entire concept seems more trouble than it is worth (to me). Whoever assigns the titles will never satisfy everyone.

The simple way would be to simply 'buy' a title - coder, skinner, etc. Maybe $__ / year. A paid subscription. No that would not reflect anything about the abilities of the person that buys the title. Unless there is an elaborate system setup there is no way to determine that without someone judging peoples peoples abilities, then changing the titles manually. Much time consumed, and some people would be left out.

*my personal opinion only

I think Xen* user titles should be left only to official staff/support/mods on the forums. Some users my get confused seeing "Xen<othertitle>" under the user and think they may have more weight/able to do things they really can't.
Sounds about right, and fair. And logical.

I think Xen* user titles should be left only to official staff/support/mods on the forums. Some users my get confused seeing "Xen<othertitle>" under the user and think they may have more weight/able to do things they really can't.
That is about the best reason you can have for not prefixing any other user titles with Xen.

Unless they are officially involved with XenForo, a clear distinction needs to be drawn.

Of course that doesn't preclude having user titles such as "Coder", "Skinner", etc.
That would be up to MAK though as to whether they plan to introduce anything like that.

Top Bottom