1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XenForo User Group Best Practice?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Andy Huang, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Well-Known Member

I know in vB we used to throw admins into Administrator group, and we'd have all permissions we need etc. minus the admin permissions. I noticed that in XF, the default admin is in Registered group, with Administrative and Moderating as secondary user groups. Is there a particular reason that it is setup like this (if so, why?), and is this the new best practice we should adopt?

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I don't see any particular reason for the default group memberships for the #1 admin. The default group permissions make these memberships mostly redundant.

My opinion is that you should use them like vBulletin groups where permissions are additive. One key difference is in how you should setup private forums. See bottom of first post:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/1-0-0-b1-understanding-permissions.5830/