XF 1.2 XenForo Test Environment (Sandbox)

sgr

Hi,

How do I create a sandbox for my forum? I'd like to play around with the changes before they go live on my forum. Is it possible to do that with one instance of XenForo which I have purchased?

I couldn't find anything on it in the XenForo website, there was just a PayPal sandbox in the resources.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

To create a sandbox'd environment, you would need to copy the files to a new directory as well as import the database into a copy of itself. You would then need to update the configuration file so it points to the new database. Once you lock down the test site (per the license agreement), you'll be able to make any changes necessary.

That sounds good. Thanks @Jeremy . So I could have my live site up and running, and the sandbox running side by side with the same license which I have purchased. I could have a URL for the sandbox and test the add-ons and other changes there, and then put them up on the live site.. ?

Yes, per the license agreement:
Before deploying the Software, you must register in the XenForo.com customer area the address (URL) at which You will use the License. This URL must be kept up-to-date. You may create a single additional test installation for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.

Reactions: sgr
Thanks!

So I'll create another instance of XenForo on my server, which would be password protected and accessed only by the admin staff (which includes the owner). The other instance would be the licensed one, and the one running on the live site. That fits in the agreement I think.

Before deploying the Software, you must register in the XenForo.com customer area the address (URL) at which You will use the License. This URL must be kept up-to-date. You may create a single additional test installation for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.

My XenForo installation is at such a URL: xyz.com/forums

I've seen some sandbox environments which are at a completely different URL than the website. I want to place mine at: xyz.com/forums/sandbox or xyz.com/forumsandbox

Will this be fine as per the agreement? It will be password protected and accessed by the website admins only.

Once you have your sandbox set up how you like it... how then do you apply the changes to the live site?

Depends on what it is. In one sense you don't lol.

If its theme changes export and import. Other stuff? Duplicate by hand. If its permissions you can try exporting via SQL and delicately importing but its only for those knowing exactly what they are doing and even then anyone will say don't.

Is there a way to make it so a certain user sees a certain style? That way I can work on my customizations and only have one user (myself) see the design changes and everyone else just sees the regular site.

Is there a way to make it so a certain user sees a certain style? That way I can work on my customizations and only have one user (myself) see the design changes and everyone else just sees the regular site.

Disable the style you're working on to the public and only admins will be able to see it.

Disable the style you're working on to the public and only admins will be able to see it.
Thanks - just figured it out. :) Sometimes I answer my own question just by asking it. :)

I'm still nervous about changing too much on the admin in fear that I might break something. I guess I need to get over that fear. :)

I'm still nervous about changing too much on the admin in fear that I might break something. I guess I need to get over that fear. :)

If you mess up on a style and don't know how to fix the issues, you can always revert it back to the default settings / colors or create a new default style.

Top Bottom