Xenforo Team please dedicate this product to only "Forums" and nothing else.

chipy100

There are enough general "social networking" platforms out there like facebook and myspace. We don't need that type of software or interface.

What your customer desires is a product dedicated to "FORUMS." Please do not add social groups, blogs, and other CMS programs that ruin the experience of what forums are all about...meeting people of the same interest to discuss a "specific topic." It's difficult enough to generate activity and post on new or even old forums. Having these extra features deters forum activities and turn off many potential users from joining or posting due to being bombarded with features that they will most likely never use and unfamiliar with.

I'm not saying we should not have the above stated features. I'm saying you should make that a separate product. Dedicate your time to develop a clean and amazing "forum" software. Make it as user friendly as possible. Leave the development of plugins to other developers.

Hi chipy, welcome to XenForo!

Since you've just joined today, I'll assume that you haven't read through the forums yet. If you do, you'll find that our customers desire quite a bit more than a product dedicated to only forums, altho the developers are absolutely concentrating all of their efforts on the core product at this time.

Eventually there most likely will be a CMS. I don't know about social groups and blogs though. Mike and Kier are working very hard to make XenForo as user friendly as possible.

Hi chipy, welcome to XenForo!

Since you've just joined today, I'll assume that you haven't read through the forums yet. If you do, you'll find that our customers desire quite a bit more than a product dedicated to only forums, altho the developers are absolutely concentrating all of their efforts on the core product at this time.
Eventually there most likely will be a CMS. I don't know about social groups and blogs though. Mike and Kier and working very hard to make XenForo as user friendly as possible.

Hi Peggy,

Thank you for the reply. I am liking this product so far. This is the best interface I've seen on any forum. I'm just saying that extras like the ones mentioned should be separate. Yes, your customers want more, but customization of the product should be separate from the "core" product, which is forums. Maybe create a separate site dedicated to customization just like Vbulletin.org

As a forum administrator, the most difficult part of developing a forum is generating activity. I like how Mike and Kier have implemented a "reward" system into their product. Maybe they should focus more on those types of features so more forums can generate content and activity. :)

As I said above, Kier and Mike are focusing on the core product for the time being. I'm pretty sure that they know which way they're going with the product. :)

Thanks Peggy. I'm definitely going to purchase this fine looking software. :D I know that you guys pretty much know how to develop forum software. Just wanted to list my frustrations about the "old" product.

Thanks Peggy. I'm definitely going to purchase this fine looking software. :D I know that you guys pretty much know how to develop forum software. Just wanted to list my frustrations about the "old" product.
No need to bring the "old" product over here, chipy.

This is a brand new day, brand new software. Think positive! Think innovative! Leave the old behind! :D

Why are they a must have? Maybe the CMS, but gallery and blogs? Only a few users actually use those features, especially on small forums.

Small forums? Hmmm... I think it is the other way round actually. In fact I need to start a new project in 2011 and I definitely need to have integrated Blogs for this platform. It will be essential to it's success. Invision has it, vBulletin has it. And in 2011 I need to choose the software that will power my platform.

Why are they a must have? Maybe the CMS, but gallery and blogs? Only a few users actually use those features, especially on small forums.

Galleries are actually pretty well used; just not so much on vBulletin, because they implemented it badly.

All of my forums used galleries, just not as much as they would if the system was different.

Blogs are mostly community based, though some communities do well with them.

Small forums? Hmmm... I think it is the other way round actually. In fact I need to start a new project in 2011 and I definitely need to have integrated Blogs for this platform. It will be essential to it's success. Invision has it, vBulletin has it. And in 2011 I need to choose the software that will power my platform.

I think they should be added because they're good feature, though probably as an add-on.

Adding something just because IPB/vBulletin has it is just a bad reason to me; There are features that IPB has over vBulletin, and vice versa, and people still choose between them. I think administrators, after seeing and getting use to XenForo will probably choose it for what it offers; a sleek UI/UX experience that was built with the end-user in mind. 

Version 1 needs to be a core forum product. As soon as the product is stable, efficient and flexible that's when they can begin adding things to it.

If we add things to it when it's unstable, it's going to take much longer to roll out releases.

V1 = Just Forum (which it definitely is). 

Top Bottom