Fixed XenForo should set the "Auto-Submitted: auto-generated" header when sending emails

Steffen

Affected version
"Process mails from web applications like e-mail address verification and password reset mails should be tagged as 'automatically submitted' so that mail servers do not respond with 'Out of office' or vacation notification mails." – http://cweiske.de/tagebuch/laravel-notification-autosubmit.htm

I think this applies to all emails sent by XenForo.

Maybe it would make sense to set the non-standard header "Precedence: bulk", too. Afaik it is older and some software might not support "Auto-Submitted" yet.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.2.6).

Change log:
Add header 'Auto-Submitted: auto-generated' header by default to outgoing emails with the ability to override or unset if needed.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

We are having the same issue with a newly opened forum.

Confirmation emails are not sending. If a new member registers the site says that a confirmation email has been sent, but the new member never receives it. When they use the "resubmit" option, the same problem.

Eventually after several attempts and several hours an auto-generated pop up on the site advises the member to check their account settings. One user was then able to use a different email address that went right through. I've used the run test for outgoing emails and they go right through, but the confirmation emails are not.

Change log: Add header 'Auto-Submitted: auto-generated' header by default to outgoing emails with the ability to override or unset if needed.
Since we upgraded to XF 2.2.7 patch 1 (last week) we get server errors:
  • Email to xxxx@yyyy.com failed: Expected response code 250 but got code "554", with message "554 Transaction failed: Duplicate header 'Auto-Submitted'. "
  • src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php:459
I presume the 'Auto-Submitted' part is related?
How can we resolve this?

Thanks!!

Since we upgraded to XF 2.2.7 patch 1 (last week) we get server errors:
  • Email to xxxx@yyyy.com failed: Expected response code 250 but got code "554", with message "554 Transaction failed: Duplicate header 'Auto-Submitted'. "
  • src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php:459
I presume the 'Auto-Submitted' part is related?
How can we resolve this?

Thanks!!
Did you resolve it?

Top Bottom