• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

XenForo Phrase Analysis

ibnesayeed

Many of us are interested in having separate phrases for admin and public interfaces (mainly to translate only public interface and leave the admin interface in default English). I had some spare time so I decided to do some analysis of the phrases used in the software. Here are my findings.

I have collected these phrases from three files (XenForo-1.0.0).

Code:
templates.xml => as public phrases
options.xml => as admin phrases
admin_templates.xml => as admin phrases
email_templates.xml => I was not sure about these, so I left phrases from this file

Unique phrase counts are listed below in each file.

Code:
xen_public => 945
xen_admin => 1201
xen_common => 177
xen_only_public => 768
xen_only_admin => 1024

Code:
945 + 1201 = 2 * 177 + 768 + 1024

Attachments

We are still waiting RTL badly, but i think after this analysis, I have better idea what to translate right now and wait for the time to come to get rid of VB in our Urdu forum. It might be helpful for others as well, who are wondering in the wild of translation.

Pretty cool, but I thought that Kier or Mike said somewhere that it doesn't slow down the site, completely forgot their explanation...and the search function hates me so much...still pretty cool.

Pretty cool, but I thought that Kier or Mike said somewhere that it doesn't slow down the site, completely forgot their explanation...and the search function hates me so much...still pretty cool.

I am really lost, what do you mean by speed of the site? Does it has any link with the phrase system?

I am really lost, what do you mean by speed of the site? Does it has any link with the phrase system?
Eh....I was a little strange last night...I mean the amount of resources it takes to look up the phrases, I think vb had to load them all and xf only loads what it needs...something like that, just wait for Kier or Mike to respond and they will clear up my fuzzy statements...having a bad week(communication wise)

That's correct.

I think the purpose of this exercise though is to identify those phrases which are only used in the ACP, those which are only used in the front end, and common phrases used in both areas.

That potentially makes it quicker and easier when translating, as only the front end phrases really need to be done.

That's correct.

I think the purpose of this exercise though is to identify those phrases which are only used in the ACP, those which are only used in the front end, and common phrases used in both areas.

That potentially makes it quicker and easier when translating, as only the front end phrases really need to be done.
Ah ok...I misunderstood. At least I know I wasn't stupid and just had a dream of a couple posts...like those other dreams I had...where vb drops the law suits...only dreams though.

That's correct.

Thanks Brogan,. You always make our life easier. I am sure, I would have never been able to explain it so easily. :)

Today, we are migrating our forum to xF 1.1 Beta 5. While importer is doing it's job, I did a little exercise to grab all the unique phrases used in the public interface (source: install/data/templates.xml file). Notice that this time I did not exercise to grab admin and email templates and comparing them to find out union and intersection etc. It should help you if you want to make sure that all the public interface phrases and only common phrases from admin interface gets translated. For better result you may like to avoid those common translations appearing in ACP with the help of Admin Language add-on (it helps in RTL languages a lot). :)

There are 1060 unique phrases in this file. :)

I might regenerate these files again when 1.1 stable is released as I am getting requests for this resource. :)

Attachments

I'm very interested in this. I'm italian and I would like to leave the admin in english while the frontend is in italian. I've seen some time ago an add-on that let you set up the admin and public language anyway...

Top Bottom