Lack of interest XenForo OAuth Login Authentication

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

erich37

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
To accomplish a feature like this, XenForo would have to have a central repository of user logins and passwords. Facebook and Twitter and Google can do this type of "login using our credentials" type of things because when you say "Facebook" you know exactly what you are referring to and what user base you are referring too.

XenForo doesn't have nearly the user base to make implementing such a feature worthwhile for many sites and services.

What advantage would this have to end users over Facebook, Twitter or Google+ (which obviously have a much higher install base already). People use them to sign in to things because they already have an account with them. A XenForo universal sign in would be more like people would need to go sign up for the XenForo account in order to log into the site they really want to use? I just don't see it taking off because it's reverse logic of why people actually use Facebook or Twitter to log in to 3rd party sites.

well, if XenForo would also penetrate the market similar as Disqus did (e.g.: offering a hosted premium model for big customer accounts in media)..... then the playing field might change a bit and would also benefit XenForo-webmasters.

Then the user-base of a "XenForo-Login" would be much higher, which would make it easier for people to Log-in via their XenForo-ID, same as they do via their Disqus-ID at various media-websites.
This in turn would also benefit XenForo-webmasters as people would be able to login into XenForo-powered Forums via their XenForo-ID. That's all. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

http://www.disqus.com

:coffee:

Well that's totally something different. But for it to be realistic for people to sign up to sites with "XenForo accounts" there would first need to be widespread XenForo account holders. At the very *least* 10s of millions. Until then, a XenForo universal login using those accounts just wouldn't be useful.

Well that's totally something different. But for it to be realistic for people to sign up to sites with "XenForo accounts" there would first need to be widespread XenForo account holders. At the very *least* 10s of millions. Until then, a XenForo universal login using those accounts just wouldn't be useful.

So how did Disqus achieve to penetrate the market ? Did they start with 10s of millions of "account holders" ?

XenForo doesn't have nearly the user base to make implementing such a feature worthwhile for many sites and services.

What is the exact break-even-point in "number of account holders" to make it "worthwhile" to create such a feature ?

:cool:

So how did Disqus achieve to penetrate the market ? Did they start with 10s of millions of "account holders" ?
No idea what their model is... Honestly, I've never heard of them before... I know *I* certainly don't have an account with them, not have I ever noticed them as an option to sign up on any site.

What advantage do they offer vs. someone signing up via Facebook or Twitter?

Disqus is a completely different ideology than XenForo. XenForo is meant to house discussion of specific communities and be self-hosted. The could offer a hosted solution, but even at that point, it still isn't designed to be a 'one-sign-on' system. Discus is meant to replace a comment + login system to increase user interaction on blogging systems. They penetrated the market because it was set out to do such a thing, not an after thought. XenForo would essentially have to either a) collect all user login information (which would kill business) or b) modify the way the system works where every xenforo in utilizes the same central user base.

Both seem unattainable and not worth while.

No idea what their model is... Honestly, I've never heard of them before... I know *I* certainly don't have an account with them, not have I ever noticed them as an option to sign up on any site.

What advantage do they offer vs. someone signing up via Facebook or Twitter?

No idea. :cool:

Disqus is being used on huge media sites like "New York Times", "Financial Times", "IGN", etc.
I am sure you came across Disqus already at many websites, but just did not recognize it was powered by Disqus.

This is interesting:
http://blog.disqus.com/post/45197311337/meet-the-man-behind-gooqus-the-mashup-of-google-and

:)

XenForo would essentially have to either a) collect all user login information (which would kill business) or b) modify the way the system works where every xenforo in utilizes the same central user base.
Both seem unattainable and not worth while.

It would work exactly vice versa of what you are saying:

There would be a Login-ID for users who have never used any XenForo-powered Forum. This Login-ID would be owned by XenForo Ltd.
With this Login-ID, a user (who has never used any XenForo-powered Forum) could easily register at any XenForo-powered Forum.
XenForo Ltd. would share this Login-ID with any Forum-webmaster who is running a XenForo-powered Forum (in case the specific Forum-webmaster signs-up for this free/paid service of XenForo Ltd.).

The "Login-data" which are used by members of any XenForo-powered Forum (e.g.: the Login-ID of the members at my own Forum) would not be shared with XenForo Ltd., and therefore would remain in the sole ownership of the respective webmaster running a XenForo-powered Forum.

It would work exactly vice versa of what you are saying:

There would be a Login-ID for users who have never used any XenForo-powered Forum. This Login-ID would be owned by XenForo Ltd.
With this Login-ID, a user (who has never used any XenForo-powered Forum) could easily register at any XenForo-powered Forum.
XenForo Ltd. would share this Login-ID with any Forum-webmaster who is running a XenForo-powered Forum (in case the specific Forum-webmaster signs-up for this free/paid XenForo-service).

The "Login-data" which are used by members of any XenForo-powered Forum (e.g.: the Login-ID of the members at my own Forum) would not be shared with XenForo Ltd., and therefore would remain in the sole ownership of the respective webmaster running a XenForo-powered Forum.

So, you want me to sign up for a separate service that would allow me to utilize the username + email on every XenForo powered forum. The amount of forums I usually join in any given year: 1-2. At max. Number of those that are XenForo? Varies.

Facebook allows me to sign up with basic information on any website that it so chooses, and I use facebook nearly daily. The amount of sites I join that allow me to connect with facebook every year: a lot. The amount of desire I would have to join a XenForo only service like this is next to none, since it won't save me much time in the long run. The law of diminishing returns is in full effect for something of this magnitude. The amount of people on Facebook alone far outweigh the amount that would sign up for a XenForo only service, especially when most people don't pay attention to software.

So, you want me to sign up for a separate service that would allow me to utilize the username + email on every XenForo powered forum. The amount of forums I usually join in any given year: 1-2. At max. Number of those that are XenForo? Varies.

Facebook allows me to sign up with basic information on any website that it so chooses, and I use facebook nearly daily. The amount of sites I join that allow me to connect with facebook every year: a lot. The amount of desire I would have to join a XenForo only service like this is next to none, since it won't save me much time in the long run. The law of diminishing returns is in full effect for something of this magnitude. The amount of people on Facebook alone far outweigh the amount that would sign up for a XenForo only service, especially when most people don't pay attention to software.

yeah, however there is still a huge number of people who engage in comments and discussions at certain "media-sites" (for example: "New York Times", "Financial Times", or at your local Newspaper) and never use Facebook or Twitter.

This might never be the case, but just imagine what happens to your Logins at various websites if Facebook and Twitter would disappear....... :D

Top Bottom