XF 2.0 XenForo Developers Handbook

SamJakob

Hi everyone,

In order to ease people into XenForo 2 development after they've read the XenForo 2 developer's guide, I've been working on a more in-depth guide and I wanted to share with you all what I had so far.

[Moved] You can see the changes here: https://github.com/SamJakob/docs

I also wanted to know if you had any suggestions for topics.

So far, I've got:
  • XenForo Templating Language
    • Best Practices
    • Language Tags (This is essentially a list of all the tags and how they work - it's not yet finished but I've done most of them)
      • Language Tags does not include the tags used in forms - I'm making a seperate section for that.
    • Macros (This is a guide on how to use macros in XenForo)

I'm absolutely welcoming contribution. If you want to get involved, send me a PM.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, you are great. Although I am not a developer, this is much appreciated, as we need guys like you in the community, who share their knowledge with us!

Awesome.

Thank you so much, you are great. Although I am not a developer, this is much appreciated, as we need guys like you in the community, who share their knowledge with us!

Awesome.
Thanks! :)
And seeing as I'll be adding to the general documentation now, if there's anything you as a non-developer wants added, let me know.

if there's anything you as a non-developer wants added, let me know
I can come up with some beginner problems and maybe you'll find the time to address them hopefully.
Right now off the top of my head, how to use var:dump in various places would be a good start. Or like how to read error code. Or how to create a simple button. Stuff like that. I can list tens of such things, if there is interest and time.

I can come up with some beginner problems and maybe you'll find the time to address them hopefully.
Right now off the top of my head, how to use var:dump in various places would be a good start. Or like how to read error code. Or how to create a simple button. Stuff like that. I can list tens of such things, if there is interest and time.
Okay. I got the buttons covered in the template tags section but a guide to errors is a pretty neat idea.

When a new developer looks at XF for the first time, he will often ask me: how does this thing work and where do I start reading to comprehend the concept and the how the pieces of the puzzle fit together? I have given them the existing developer documentation but while it explains various parts, unfortunately that's not enough to get started on the basic concept.

It would be nice if there would be an introduction that gives new developers a basic concept and overview of the system.

Best practises and topics related to the resource standards would be nice to see added.

Thanks! :)
And seeing as I'll be adding to the general documentation now, if there's anything you as a non-developer wants added, let me know.
Possibly a style section, with all the default variables and maybe some explanation of LESS usage. I haven't gone into the development mode yet, but customizing the style feels a little less intuitive vs xf1.

When a new developer looks at XF for the first time, he will often ask me: how does this thing work and where do I start reading to comprehend the concept and the how the pieces of the puzzle fit together? I have given them the existing developer documentation but while it explains various parts, unfortunately that's not enough to get started on the basic concept.

It would be nice if there would be an introduction that gives new developers a basic concept and overview of the system.

Best practises and topics related to the resource standards would be nice to see added.
I'll try and get that in but the XenForo guys seem pretty strict on the format of their documentation.

That is a really nice idea though.

I don't know if this is within the scope of what you are doing, but I'd love to see some documentation on data portability within Xenforo. By that I mean how to pull specific data into a custom page node or template.

For example, how to list the number of members within a certain usergroup, how to list those members or their custom userfields, etc. Playing with the data we have would open up a lot of customisation options.

I don't know if this is within the scope of what you are doing, but I'd love to see some documentation on data portability within Xenforo. By that I mean how to pull specific data into a custom page node or template.

For example, how to list the number of members within a certain usergroup, how to list those members or their custom userfields, etc. Playing with the data we have would open up a lot of customisation options.
Love it.

Top Bottom