XenForo.com Add-Ons / Resources System

I believe that if xenforo make it available for free downloading or together with the platform of the forum, would greatly increase customers, and of course the resources of Xenforo ultimately no platform provides the forum along with the other hand, I admire work, but I think that if we pay for the platform would have to have the official add-ons for free (but that's just my opinion) :coffee:

Thank you all!

I believe that if xenforo make it available for free downloading or together with the platform of the forum, would greatly increase customers, and of course the resources of Xenforo ultimately no platform provides the forum along with the other hand, I admire work, but I think that if we pay for the platform would have to have the official add-ons for free (but that's just my opinion) :coffee:

Thank you all!
Everyone loves free stuff ;).

:ROFLMAO: yeahh man... sure, but remembering that xenforo has everything to be the best platform for forums (y) ... Soon I'll be buying mine, and hopefully increase the number of addons increasingly well clear of this supplement is agreed in this topic

Are you suggesting that vBulletin.org is not or has not been a success? :cautious:
It has been a success and it currently still is to some degree, but times have changed.

A recurring topic is devs becoming frustrated with overly demanding freeloaders and devs have left due to this.

Many devs support their addons on another site, because they can not make sense of their 100 page support thread. Others use hosted bug/suggestion trackers like trac or a wiki on their site.

When an addon becomes so large that tens of thousands of sites run it, then it becomes highly interesting for hackers to find exploits. The success of vb.org creates this weakness. You will have noticed that a very large number of vbulletin websites was recently hacked. IMHO this can only be countered by auditing addons that are so widely used. Else this is bound to happen.

The absence of paid addons is another weakness of vb.org

IMHO XF should learn from this.

The Apple Store APPification of almost everything continues.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20110915/windows-store-to-provide-7030-revenue-share/
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220105/Metro_apps_to_be_sold_only_from_Microsoft_s_app_store

vBorg looks "ancient" in the era of an APPs store.
The first forum with a GOOD apps store at the heart of the code will reap major rewards.
Xenforo with an APPS store = IB peril.

Apps Store: Easy to buy, easy to install.

I bet developers like it when their apps are easy to buy.

I wonder if it could help cut down on app piracy too.

Wordpress almost has an APPS store ... as addons are easily searched for, downloaded and installed, all from inside the admin.

An "Apps Store" Lite for xenforo would allow addon makers to sell their addons via Xenforo.com. I think Xenforo should add this feature to show they are *REALLY* interested in attracting the best developers out there.

I still think a 1 click install/uninstall system from the xenforo resource manager to your board would be the edge to take xenforo's mods that step further than any other competitors.
it would.
but what if the Addons weren't good ?
it wouldn't matter.
If you bring developers into your business model via the PAID addons, you'll bring in a new type of "economy" that will change forums forever.
An important difference between the APPS store and a forum store would be addons need more support.
That would need to be factored into any Xenforo Addons Store.

The Apple Store APPification of almost everything continues.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20110915/windows-store-to-provide-7030-revenue-share/
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220105/Metro_apps_to_be_sold_only_from_Microsoft_s_app_store

vBorg looks "ancient" in the era of an APPs store.
The first forum with a GOOD apps store at the heart of the code will reap major rewards.
Xenforo with an APPS store = IB peril.

Apps Store: Easy to buy, easy to install.

I bet developers like it when their apps are easy to buy.

I wonder if it could help cut down on app piracy too.

Wordpress almost has an APPS store ... as addons are easily searched for, downloaded and installed, all from inside the admin.

An "Apps Store" Lite for xenforo would allow addon makers to sell their addons via Xenforo.com. I think Xenforo should add this feature to show they are *REALLY* interested in attracting the best developers out there.
It won't cut down on privacy, one bit. Do you really think nobody can pirate App Store apps? My roommate has done it. Piracy is bound to happen and just bringing all paid apps to one site won't help anything. Hell, even free add-ons are pirated because people don't want to pay for the software.

It won't cut down on piracy, one bit.
Actually I change my mind, I think it will ... or that it could.
IOS upgrades don't hinder piracy, because people don't update their phones.
People WILL upgrade their forums.
At least you will force people to keep re-pirating the addons.

I think there are a number of other factors that could help a xenforo apps store cut down on piracy.
Nothing is full proof that is for sure.

However .......................
The MAIN reason for the APPS store is to promote easy installing and easy to purchase.

Apple innovated and the APPS store is a HUGE success.
People are saying it is changing how software is being created and deployed.
Almost every software or ecosystem is copying this model.

The money factor can't be ignored. The Apple Apps store has alot of developers and many of them are doing very well.

Just enabling payments to developers via xenforo.com would be a HUGE innovation.
You know what ... I don't really *WANT* to give my paypal to 10 different people.
But I don't mind paying for stuff, when it requires someone to do work.
Kier said a PAID option wouldn't be a part of the rollout of the Resource System initially.

I can only image what awesomeness would have happened if vBorg was like the Apple Apps Store.

Xenforo should double down and hire someone else to code an APPS store to get it released ASAP.

I'm not going to talk about this anymore until the Resource System is deployed.

Actually I change my mind, I think it will ... or that it could.

It won't. People constantly do it, and at the tip of a hat someone says "can I get this" and they'll go grab it. Its an system I've tried to fight, but have realized its extremely hard and moot.

Microsoft just keep doing itself an injustice... Apple iMac apps, iPhone, iPad, etc... you can download from any website, not just through 'their' store, which is what makes them so popular. The same with Android... apps aren't exclusive. You buy through their store knowing the apps are safe vs. buying outside the store that could use deceptive code.

Microsoft just keep chasing and then shooting themselves in the foot.

With Apple soaring ahead, and Microsoft taking a massive hit... if Google enter the sphere with a desktop OS that works on any machine.... then everyone could be in strife...

I think the success of the iphone, ipod touch, ipad is in part due to the APPS store. I can see cool devices such as the Blackberry Pad (blackpad) have trouble competing because they won't be able to compete against all of the apps in the Apple store. The ipad has a huge developer base, the blackpad is unlikely to gain such a following (although the blackpad users (businesses) might pay more for apps). Would xenforo benefit from an "Apps" store ? Would developers like it ? What are the pluses and minuses ?

All Thoughts welcomed ! :)

I firmly believe that xf needs to seriously consider an itunes / paid app kind of model for addons. Times today are different than from last decade when people "wanted" to share their custom stuff at vb.org. This is the "app" generation and we don't mind buying an app for $2.99 for our iphones and Android devices. The model needs to be given serious consideration because in spite of making the best forum software, XF will not become the most used one simply because every site's "must-have" feature list is different and it is impossible for core developers to develop everything for everybody. XF as an excellent Addon framework but that by itself is just not enough. There needs to be an interface for accountable communication between the Add-On developer and user, and it must benefit the Add-On author too monetarily. I may love to code and provide add-ons but that will not provide food on the table. If someone chooses to give an Add-On free, it's his choice. If someone wants to make paid addons, the system should facilitate it, and also hold the developer accountable. If a paid for Addon gets abandoned, there should be a fail-safe.

VBulletin is not vbulletin because it is the best system out there. VBulletin got to where it is because you can make it do absolutely anything due to the vast number of addons. Sure after a decade, XF may too have as many addons, but do you really want to wait a decade or instead do something about it.
sadikb - source

I'm beginning to agree that an "App store" approach would work very well.

We all know we want to keep the core lean but at the same time if Kier can code something up in 30 minutes and release it as an "official" addon which they charge $10 for, then surely that makes sense for everyone (ok, I'm simplifying a bit but the principle is there).

I assume the real problem would be the infrastructure to support something like this though :-(

A Xenforo APPS store .... and a API with keys, like WHMCS. Cloud Linux etc. Your issued a key and it registers in the license member area where it is installed.. domain, IP and server path. To install it elsewhere, you need to release your key allowing you to install it else where and making current install of it no longer function with a invalid key error. This also resolves the issue of some people buying one copy and installing it on 50 forums.

Top Bottom