Xenforo can really LEARN from ForEm....seriously....

surfsup

To me, still to date Xenforo is still out of date and behind on times. I wish the team would take some ideas of how forem is setup and run with something in that nature, im not gonna provide the link but you can see even www.dev.to is running on it and its flipping amazing imo. I would love to know a ROADMAP of xenforo this year, because forums have died down dramatically years ago competing with fb groups.

great point......as of now it seems to us like xenforo is the best "forum" option, yet, to get a normal decent lvl of functionality that will take us 1k in addons and another 3k in custom work....just to get the software so it doesnt feel like you are fighting it just to use it.....most people dont have time for that these days and simply will not even try to bother..

theres not really a way to feel good about that, esp if your site does not earn the money needed to cover that!

we dont need to try to mock facebook and look more like them etc....that link looks too busy to me, i def wouldnt want my site looking like that....but xenforo yes please lets get some things caught up, esp regarding heavy image/gallery use sites....i mean instagram is killing everything and people dont even really like it, its frustrating to keep hearing about...

honestly, and i know xen devs have alot to focus and try to satisfy, but its like they all took an early lunch day when it came too all this its pretty amazing how poorly built it is....

This is going to be an interesting thread. :) ForEm is really snappy and you can tell it is all on the latest tech but looking past that I see a blog with basic comments and a taxonomy structure like is traditional on WordPress sites.

The features of XenForo go much deeper and any developer with the right vision can take the existing system of thread types, user profiles, permissions, reactions, and all the other stuff that makes our forums the best of the best and take it in a similar direction.

Maybe we'll see official moves like this but right now XF is a gold mine of possibilities and I think we'll see more advancements as forums regain dominance from people moving away from social media.

I looked at dev.to and there's nothing there that stands out to me screaming I NEED THIS!

It is SUPER fast.
It seems light-weight, and that can be skinned in XF if you lose some features to match dev.to's vanilla approach too.

I ran a light house and they have CLS and FCP issues.

The accessibility claim is nice. I didn't test it. This is an XF gap.

Overuse of SVG that a common forum owner won't have a clue about how to setup/generate graphics for their own branding?

What exactly are you thinking about in terms of the gaps to fill?

No thanks.

IMO, it looks dated, and messed up. I always (read as never) wondered what the child of facebook and wordpress would look like, now I know and I can't get the image of that site out of my mind. shudders

And infinite scroll, yeah, why have a footer... (and they do).

It's just my opinion, which doesn't matter today, as I am still stuck in the 90's.

If you want medium to long form communication, you use a forum software like Xenforo. If you need social media-like components to survive, you should be using a different platform. The reason why social media platforms do not move the needle to me is I prefer longer, detailed conversations.

I just don't understand the incessant desire to try and social mediatize forums. What needs to be focused on is creating thoughtful, useful tools and add-ons to get visitors writing more.

If you want medium to long form communication, you use a forum software like Xenforo. If you need social media-like components to survive, you should be using a different platform. The reason why social media platforms do not move the needle to me is I prefer longer, detailed conversations.

I just don't understand the incessant desire to try and social mediatize forums. What needs to be focused on is creating thoughtful, useful tools and add-ons to get visitors writing more.

yes exactly....it may not be the point of the OP, but thats what im trying to get at....

to me the real competition...its not with becoming another facebook, it is doing what forums do, except at a level that will actually make people want to spend time creating content instead of fighting the software then deciding its not worth the effort...

things are better than they have been in the past for sure....i dont mean to come off so negative but the bottom line its just that forums never fully "ripened" for more than casual forum use.......which is what social medias are filling the spot of......so, the logic i see is that forums need to be better and EASIER TO USE for creating more complex content....

This would be great as many people below the age of thirty don't necessarily do this anymore. I think social media has unsocialized people to the point in which they want to say as much as they can in as few words as they can regardless if it makes real sense or not as the next person reading is going to "like" the post anyway, reaffirming that what they wrote or contributed is sufficient enough, and the vicious cycle goes on to where you get replies such as, "I like it". You like what about it; the color, the size, the scenery; what do you like about it?

And I'm sure after using that other software you will come to the conclusion that they could learn a few things from XF (when you sorely miss certain features). There is no be-all and end-all. However where we agree would be companies learning from each other. XF does not have blinders on. :)

I looked at Forem when it was announced, and some of the claims are the same claims that Discourse and Flarum have made; cutting edge, best of the best, does everything better than everyone else... Until it comes to functionality.

I did a brief rundown of the checklist I've used for when I do projects where accessibility is a priority, and used JAWS and a few other tools and applications to check problem areas. I also have had my step dad who is fully blind, deaf but with cochlear implants, and also has a neurological disorder that has slowly degraded his fine motor abilities, and feeling in his hands. From my rundown, I found that it is not any more accessible in reality to XenForo, or really any other platform. From my stepfathers test, he found it to be frustrating, but he is also use to a custom accessible install of XF myself and a developer who has since left XenForo behind worked on.

If you are wanting more social aspects added to XenForo, work with a developer to add more social aspects, or make suggestions for exactly what you think would work to the XF devs. I know when I have some free time I am going to work on overhauling the profile page to make it more content forward, and (sadly) closer to how a Facebook profile would be, but that is because the site I run has a lot of different aspects and elements that need to be tied in at a member level for future plans we have.

If XF ever ends up looking and functioning like the examples posted, I'm switching to VB5.

thats pretty extreme they sure made a mess over there, but at least then you could embed more than one size image in a post :p

i know its true every platform has some plus and minus qualities, but it will be nice to see xen scooping some of the more "modern" practical use type ideas into one big tent......its not done so bad, just keep going lol, there are still some big issues unaddressed imho.

thats pretty extreme they sure made a mess over there, but at least then you could embed more than one size image in a post :p

Are you trying to say you can't do that on XenForo?

Looking at the dev.to site, a lot of the initial features seem like they could be replicated in some form fairly easily within XenForo.

Top Bottom