XenForo + caching = AMAZING

If you saw some of the stuff cobbled together on it you'd probably have a heart attack Floren :D
Nah... I refreshed last week my live servers to CentOS 6.3. I had to fight with my host to perform a true "minimal" install, as they always ran those crazy shell scripts to load the server with useless packages. I ended up setting a KVM and do it myself.

Feel like taking the plunge to Redhat or you will stick with Deb?

Nah... I refreshed last week my live servers to CentOS 6.3. I had to fight with my host to perform a true "minimal" install, as they always ran those crazy shell scripts to load the server with useless packages. I ended up setting a KVM and do it myself.

Feel like taking the plunge to Redhat or you will stick with Deb?

Im already on rhel (centos 5 on one server, centos 6 the other)... you must be thinking of someone else

Im already on rhel (centos 5 on one server, centos 6 the other)... you must be thinking of someone else
Ha, for some reason I was sure you were a Debian head. :giggle:
I dare you to setup a VM and try the Axivo rpm's (nginx, php and mariadb), in 5min you will be done. No more 285 repos to get all your stuff updated. :giggle:

Ha, for some reason I was sure you were a Debian head. :giggle:
I dare you to setup a VM and try the Axivo rpm's (nginx, php and mariadb), in 5min you will be done. No more 285 repos to get all your stuff updated. :giggle:

Maybe I will for a bit of fun ;)

Problem is I would have to install a panel of some sort for my customers to be able to manage their stuff, so could never use it live unless for myself only.

Email, some do sql stuff via phpmyadmin, some like having an editor to update their files without ftp.
I see. Myself, I solved the email configuration issues by setting the axivo.com domain with Google Apps. Is a breeze to manage email accounts without the added server usage, plus you get the fancy Gmail web interface. Personally, I would not install phpmyadmin and instead provide the user a free tool to access their MySQL databases (i.e. HeidiSQL or EMS). About updating the files... that is a thing I really don't like for users to be able to play with as most of the time, they will compromise the server security. The only tool I would allow is SFTP based clients on a custom ssh port, with FTP disabled.

I see. Myself, I solved the email configuration issues by setting the axivo.com domain with Google Apps. Is a breeze to manage email accounts without the added server usage, plus you get the fancy Gmail web interface. Personally, I would not install phpmyadmin and instead provide the user a free tool to access their MySQL databases (i.e. HeidiSQL or EMS). About updating the files... that is a thing I really don't like for users to be able to play with as most of the time, they will compromise the server security. The only tool I would allow is SFTP based clients on a custom ssh port, with FTP disabled.

Well sometime in the next 2 or 3 months ill be commissioning a 32 core 128gb ram server...

Maybe ill try your rpms on it :D See how they do.

I've been building a new ESXi cluster:
vmware-cluster.webp
Still got a way to go and this is in the first of 3 datacenters. You can never have too much capacity :p

*dribble*
It's awesome. Have a metro 10gig dark fibre network running Cisco REP between the 3 datacenters. The UCS platform hosts the ESXi platform I am building, lots of different types of blade servers, 2 x 5548 and 2 x 6248 (IP/FCoE fabrics). Each of the 5k chassis has 40 gig of bandwidth to the switches. It's just awesomeness on a great platform. If you wanna know more I either can start a thread or PM me.

Next is to install VMware vCloud Director on top of vCenter (I am a VMware Service Provider member) and then start playing with the Cisco Nexus 1000v, vShield and loads of other goodies in the virtual world.

It's awesome. Have a metro 10gig dark fibre network running Cisco REP between the 3 datacenters. The UCS platform hosts the ESXi platform I am building, lots of different types of blade servers, 2 x 5548 and 2 x 6248 (IP/FCoE fabrics). Each of the 5k chassis has 40 gig of bandwidth to the switches. It's just awesomeness on a great platform. If you wanna know more I either can start a thread or PM me.

Next is to install VMware vCloud Director on top of vCenter (I am a VMware Service Provider member) and then start playing with the Cisco Nexus 1000v, vShield and loads of other goodies in the virtual world.

Please do, PM or Post, would love to learn more about this whole setup, how you planned it, what its for etc etc etc.

Top Bottom