XenForo and large boards - VB3 import and search

lantek

Firstly, very excited to have stumbled on this - looks very impressive. It gives new hope to me as a VB3 user to escape having to ever move to VB4.

A couple of questions on large(ish) boards. I've got around 4 million posts, 70000 users.

1. Assuming importing from vb3.8, what would you very roughly expect the import time to be like? I'm interested on whether it would be hours, days, or weeks.

2. How well does search work on large boards. Can we expect similar search performance to VB3 using MYSQL Full Text? VB4 is completely unusable on my DB, whereas VB3 is fine.

Thanks for any info!

Hi there :)

Welcome to the site :D

Depending on your statistics it will take within reasonable time to a handful of hours.
I doubt it will take weeks. ImpEx by vB for example never took longer than a day for 15 million posts boards. In my experience at least.

I'm pretty sure it won't take days or weeks on a proper server.

They've already mentioned that they are planning Sphinx search support. So search should work great for big boards.

2. How well does search work on large boards. Can we expect similar search performance to VB3 using MYSQL Full Text? VB4 is completely unusable on my DB, whereas VB3 is fine.

Thanks for any info!

The search being used here as far as I know is just a standard MySQL Fulltext, if you require sphinx you will need to wait until its included or figure out how to impliment it. I am positive that if the xF staff do not bring it out as part of the package it will be a third party addon.

The search being used here as far as I know is just a standard MySQL Fulltext, if you require sphinx you will need to wait until its included or figure out how to impliment it. I am positive that if the xF staff do not bring it out as part of the package it will be a third party addon.

Thanks. Standard MySQL fulltext on VB3 works great for me. Whatever occurred during VB4 development most definitely does not work for me. So if XenForo does indeed use a search similar to VB3, that would be great for me.

Thanks. Standard MySQL fulltext on VB3 works great for me. Whatever occurred during VB4 development most definitely does not work for me. So if XenForo does indeed use a search similar to VB3, that would be great for me.

It is still just fulltext, just in another table for muti-content search. There are known issues with it though. But it is just Fulltext.

Top Bottom