Xenforo and Ionos Germany

Robert9

For a long time, a managed server from Ionos, formerly known as 1&1, was sufficient to run a medium-sized forum. Unfortunately, it seems that Ionos wants to get rid of its server customers, as the problems have been piling up. First, a few weeks ago, they were unable to properly send emails, and instead of just shutting down one server, they took down all websites associated with the customer account under that provider.

With Xenforo 2.3, the software no longer works with the old MySQL version that was running locally on the server. Unfortunately, as a customer, you're left stranded, because on a managed server, you can't change anything yourself. However, MySQL is not being updated either. The only option left was to move MySQL to an external server at Ionos. This was done, but the result was that response times sometimes took a full second, and the maximum number of connections was constantly exceeded.

The response to a help request at Ionos looked something like this:
  1. You should optimize your software; it hasn't been implemented well. <= I’ll just leave that here as a message from Ionos Germany to the operators at Xenforo.com.
  2. In the original wording:
The back office reported that the value for max_user_connections is regularly exceeded. The limit for these databases is set at 40, which shouldn't be an issue for well-visited websites in most cases. The most common reason for exceeding this value is scripts that open a database connection but do not close it.So after$link = new mysqli($host_name, $user_name, $password, $database);you should always follow with$link-&gt;close();once the SQL statements have been executed.

Otherwise, the connections remain open until timeout, which causes the error described.

Again, I’ll just leave that here as a message from Ionos Germany to Xenforo.com. As I understand it, everything is fine with Ionos' database servers, and it's apparently Xenforo's software causing these issues.

They then kindly suggested I book a dedicated server, where I could configure everything I need. Sure, and I guess I'll find the knowledge to manage a secure server in one or two YouTube videos.

Here’s the plain truth from my perspective: There used to be a company called Schlund & Partner in Germany, where I was a customer more than 20 years ago. If something went wrong, it got sorted out. The customer was treated like a customer, and they took care of you. Later, it became 1&1, and things weren't as great as they used to be. Now it’s called Ionos, and you can’t shake the feeling that it’s turned into one of those typical big corporations that couldn’t care less about its customers.

What will I do now? Sit here and look dumb, while tomorrow I’ll be searching for a new hosting provider, because Ionos made it quite clear to me today that Xenforo isn’t suitable for their servers. In my world, I’m reaching the opposite conclusion: It seems that Ionos isn’t suitable for Xenforo.

Just for your information, in case anyone is thinking of hosting a medium-sized forum with Ionos.

Use @MattW

he's a hosting expert and a xenforo expert. You wouldn't fall into these traps like "value for max_user_connections is regularly exceeded. The limit for these databases is set at 40" as he'd have a clear answer as to what to do.

The guy sleeps but when you get him, the problem is solved. because he's a pro. For big hosts, you get some low level tech to start and it can take 3 days to figure things out.

Last edited:
The support team provided the following information:MySQL on localhost would have allowed 200 connections, while MySQL on external servers only allows 40 connections. I should optimize my software to ensure that connections are closed and not left open until timeout.

I assume that the usual Xenforo queries are all opened, executed, and closed properly. But perhaps this isn’t the case with many add-ons that use $db instead of $finder, etc.?

Does anyone have a tip on which queries in add-ons could be causing this issue and how to find them? Are there any examples of add-ons? And how can I identify queries that aren’t being closed?

Can you not use one of Ionos's VPS servers (with 2GB ram) & Plesk admin, the database will be on localhost and nice and quick

Hey Robert, I am German too and manage infrastructure too. If you want you can shoot me a message. Maybe I can help you out.

Back
Top Bottom