1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenforo and GD, specifying different parameters to achieve smaller JPEG sizes

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by TrevC, Jan 11, 2013.

1. TrevC

TrevC Well-Known Member

I've found the Xenforo core files to specify jpeg compression ratio, but I'd also like GD to:
    • Output only interlaced/progressive JPEG'S (so they don't cause content re-flow as sets of large images load in to a thread. This is a serious usability issue for photo-heavy posts/threads.)
    • Strip all EXIF data (not sure if this is already being done).
    • Strip any color profiles and remaining metadata.
    • Perform any JPEG optimizations that are available to achieve the smallest file sizes at any cost.
    Has anyone attempted this or know how/where to implement the above? I'm more familiar with ImageMagick than GD. I assume they're capable of similar functions.

Thanks in advance.

erich37 likes this.
  2. TrevC

TrevC Well-Known Member

The equivalent IM settings would look something like:
    Code:
    -thumbnail 1024x1024 -adaptive-sharpen 0 -interlace Plane -strip
    Though, I think -strip may not be required as -thumbnail already strips meta-data.

Cheers

3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

4. TrevC

TrevC Well-Known Member

Thanks Jake.

I'm not a programmer. A few layers in to xenforo core files and I start to feel a bit lost. It's very OO...

I was hoping there was a quick solution to where GD processing settings could be specified. There's the variables for JPEG quality, but not much else that I could find.