1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenforo and caching

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by LurkerLou, May 22, 2014.

1. LurkerLou

LurkerLou Active Member

Currently the software is on a VPS and the database in on a shared. I'm looking to speed up things and I enabled xcache on the VPS. What's the next step that I would need to do to use xcache? I've seen a few of the configs that people have used but since the database and forum software are on different server levels I'm not sure how I should go about implementing xcache or if xcache would even be beneficial?

2. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

If you're using nginx, I found that the site is faster without cache (go figure, eh?).

For all the fuss I have heard about cache and I have used it always, but recent disabling it made my site faster.

3. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

Configure your xcache cache, varcache, ttl, etc. Find it on php.ini or xcache.ini. Location? Depends on your OS and the way you install xcache.

http://xcache.lighttpd.net/wiki/XcacheIni

I would suggest you to install xcache admincp to clear your cache manually without restarting php and maintain your cache.

SneakyDave likes this.
  4. LurkerLou

LurkerLou Active Member

I'm an utter newb when it comes to XCache. From research this seems to be what I would put in my config.php file?
    $config['cache'] = array(
    'enabled' => true,
    'frontend' => 'Core',
    'frontendOptions' => array(
    'caching' => true,
    'automatic_serialization' => false,
    'cache_id_prefix' => 'you_prefix_',
    'lifetime' => 18000
    ),
    'backend' => 'Xcache',
    'backendOptions' => array(),
    'cacheSessions' => true
    );

5. LurkerLou

LurkerLou Active Member

Anybody?

6. UrlJet

UrlJet Member

I'd start with the backend cache first
    $config['cache']['backend'] = 'xcache';

Xcache default is zero memory allocation. Check your php.ini and adjust it for your environment.

7. LurkerLou

LurkerLou Active Member

And that would just go into the config.php file?

8. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes