Xenforo 1.x Demo?

NicolasZN

Hi,

I'm planning to move a large Harry Potter RPG forum on to Xenforo - but, being an RPG, users have multiple accounts for multiple characters. I know that Xenforo requires each user to have a unique email and that that can't be avoided right now. I found an add-on that will allow for sub-accounts that may solve my problem, but it's only 1.x compatible. As such, I'm wondering if I can try that software version before I buy a license to see what I might be getting myself into?

Unfortunately there’s no way to demo XF1 but we maintain a reasonable refund policy so if you buy it and try it and find it doesn’t meet your needs within a reasonable period then we will happily refund you. Worth noting that even if we did have an online demo for XF1 there would be no way to install and try out the add ons you need to test so buying it and trying it on your own servers would probably give you a better feel for how things work. You could even do test migrations if your current data.

If that’s something you want to go ahead with, just purchase XF and download the latest XF 1.5.x version (you get access to all old versions).

Thanks, Chris - it's not so much the add-on that I'd want to test as the software itself - to see how it's different from Xenforo 2 and how easy it will be for me to work on a new theme for it (I was finding XF2 pretty easy to do this in).

While you're here - do you have a best guess to how the database would respond to trying to import user data with the same email? (I can't do a test import because my database dump won't be available for a while yet... just want to get the alternative platform ready to go for when it is, and Xenforo is in the lead of the ones I've investigated so far... that unique email requirement is really the biggest hurdle!)

Indeed you can either resolve duplicates automatically or handle each one manually. The latter would be the ideal one for you, although clearly more work.

Most (but not all) email providers allow you to specify a slug after the username portion.

For example with Gmail you can contact someone on user@gmail.com and user+1@gmail.com and they will both get delivered to user@gmail.com.

Perhaps that will help solve the conflicts while not affecting email delivery.

Top Bottom