XenDownloads

Robbo

I am developing a downloads mod for a website I work on and have noticed people here need this mod as well. I have been making it to my needs but figured I may as well ask you what features you want and release the mod.

I currently just have the categories working in admin and am soon to go into the actual download area.

This is what I am planning...
  • Categories can't be nested, one lot of categories and that's it.
  • Categories have a title and description that is shown to the user. I was thinking I should probably make it so you can upload an image as well.
  • When in a category you will have the download with a description and optional external mirrors. Probably an image for each download as well.
  • Downloads are counted.
  • All the usual security involved with downloads.

Now that is fairly simple and won't take me long to complete (when I have time that is). Do you want much more then that? Do you want those things to be more powerful (for example nested categories). Tell me what you need/want!

Love the idea's already :)

Well, I think a

Code:
{checkbox} I agree with the <a href="Link To Rules">GPL 2 License</a>

would be cool, and it would help me and my project a lot :)
Btw, the file can't be downloaded if the checkbox isn't checked ;)

EDIT: This should be an option with each file you upload. "{checkbox} Users need to agree to rules before downloading this {textarea for link to link to}"

Sounds like a plan. A checkbox and then a textarea with default agreement but the option to overwrite it.

Comments I don't know if I will do in the first version as I will want to do them nicely like when making posts here so it will take a bit of extra time. But is definitely something I will add.
Like option I don't know if I will do for first version but should be in the 1.0 release. Should have facebook integration as well.
Image as demo is a definite.

File size and type of file would be nice.
Categories with nested sections would be nice. I know you already said no.

Cat 1
Sub1​
Sub2​
Cat2
Sub1​
Sub2​
Sub3​

File size and type will be there, kind of a mandatory thing. And the nested stuff will happen eventually, probably at version 1.1 or maybe even 1.0.

I will first release 0.9 which will basically be the first usable version and then update until I feel it has enough features to be named 1.0.

Thankyou for contributing something which I know is a big part of some peoples comunities :)

(1) How about logged in users could submit a file for review for potential inclusion in the download section ?
"Submit a file" button
(2) Restrict downloads by UserGroup (ie. must be a registered user, ie. must be a paid registered user).
(3) Downloads counter.
(4) Who downloaded this download (for admins).
(5) Ability to access downloads expires after criteria X (x = date limited, must have one "Like" ?)

I think it would be wise to read about other Downloads Modules in vBulletin (Downloads II, the other popular one), in joomla or phpBB3, etc.

Did you read this ?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/downloadsii.4985/page-2#post-114580

Search these forums for "Downloads II" to read about the interest in a Downloads Module.

(1) How about logged in users could submit a file for review for potential inclusion in the download section ?
"Submit a file" button
(2) Restrict downloads by UserGroup (ie. must be a registered user, ie. must be a paid registered user).
(3) Downloads counter.
(4) Who downloaded this download (for admins).
(5) Ability to access downloads expires after criteria X (x = date limited, must have one "Like" ?)

I think it would be wise to read about other Downloads Modules in vBulletin (Downloads II, the other popular one), in joomla or phpBB3, etc.

Did you read this ?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/downloadsii.4985/page-2#post-114580

Search these forums for "Downloads II" to read about the interest in a Downloads Module.

Yeah I did see a little on the forums about downloads modules but I don't have time to research etc. Much better to just ask what the people want in my opinion.

1) Not for 1.0 but sounds like something that would be needed later
2) Yeah this will be done eventually. 1.0 will most likely just have permissions to either download or not download. Same with uploading etc. 1.1 I will hopefully do it more like the forums where you can restrict access of individual categories and possibly certain downloads later if needed.
3) Will be done
4) Sounds like a good idea, might not be in 1.0 though
5) Do you mean like a promotion thing "grab this for a limited time" or for security reasons where there are tokens or something similar stopping permalinks. Because security will be one of the things I look into a lot for 1.0.

EDIT: I have just had a quick look at the vBulletin downloads mod. Gives me some good idea of what people need as well.

was wondering if you would import from the downloadII

heres my own suggestion
heres something i would like to see with xf downloads

the biggest disadvantage with downloadsII is that if webmaster go big with the mods and only have example 3x 500gb you have little choice to do much. with downloadsII i have one 500gb that is almost full and members uploaded the file to the server which unfortunately was directed to my one 500 gb while leaving my other two 500 gb collecting dust
so what i did was just simply deleting 250gb files and ftp moved those 250gb files manually to my second and third hdd and the worst part was that i had to manually link all those 250gb files on my own. so i plead you to implement a good features that allows admin to select the location of the storage. example on admin control panel i can enter hard path /home/domain/hdd2 /home/domain/hdd3 so when members upload they get two option of which storage to upload at

Ability to add multiple mirrors in one forum page

import ability from rsjelles downloadsII to your xf downloads

Ability to add tags on each separate file page
Based on usergroup on the user permission, he can upload bulk of files in one go. Aswell adopt similar admin import features from rs jelle

having file description to read html and/or php depending on the admin

An animated progress bar when you upload. Would be nice to inform users the transfer speed, time left and total time passed by

rss feed

With the hdd stuff. There will be one file path for downloads and then the ability to change it and set more then one. And I would do something like randomly choose one of the paths or just use the one with the least downloads in it, that way they all fill up.

Multiple mirros will be added, first implementation will probably be fairly basic mirrors.

Importing will maybe come eventually, these types of things come with time.

Tags will be there eventually, permissions too.

One thing I really don't like is no progress bars when uploading on anything... XF uses flash to solve this and that is what I will use at first. Then there is a PHP plugin that I can check for and if it is there use ajax instead of flash, should be able to show details etc with that. Just got to look into it a bit more.

rss feed eventually

I have to get my gallery into beta before working more on this. I'd say sometime this month if possible. Otherwise it will be next month.

Just came on the site to find a mod for downloads - ironically it sounds like I been both of your addons, this one and the gallery. Can't wait to see them both in action

Top Bottom