XDS - Xen Development Speed [Deleted]

Thibeault

Thibeault submitted a new resource:

XDS - Xen Development Speed - Tool to quickly create an addon XenForo

About

The main goal of this project is to create quickly a XenForo Add-On. This project is open-source, of course you can bring your support.

Note:
  • The library folder must be chmod in 777.
Features
  • Automatic creation of in choosing library folders (ControllerPublic, ControllerAdmin, Model, DataWriter, Route (Prefix Public & Admin)
  • Automatic creation of in choosing data folder.
  • Folders...

Read more about this resource...

Looked at the add-on and the code.

Though the intention is clearly a good thing it won't fit to every developper architecturing.
Eg. I construct my basic structure differently, having all stuff that corresponds to extending the core stuff inside an Extends directory in which I have ControllerPublic and other directories and at the root ControllerPublic and stuff like that related to my add-ons.

I think for a good start, you should list all the features you want to have done inside your add-on and then think at all use cases.

Clément

Though the intention is clearly a good thing it won't fit to every developper architecturing.
Eg. I construct my basic structure differently, having all stuff that corresponds to extending the core stuff inside an Extends directory in which I have ControllerPublic and other directories and at the root ControllerPublic and stuff like that related to my add-ons.

I think for a good start, you should list all the features you want to have done inside your add-on and then think at all use cases.

Clément

Then fork it and make it better, little something from everyone would make this perfect, at least for small developers such as me. ;)

Clément
Hello Clément,

The folder structure is conventionally the same as those of XenForo and I think the best is to take that convention. I can still add an option to define a base folder will be created addon ? :barefoot:

Hello Clément,

The folder structure is conventionally the same as those of XenForo and I think the best is to take that convention. I can still add an option to define a base folder will be created addon ? :barefoot:

I understand what your saying but most developpers do that separation between core extension stuff and add-on specific stuff.
See Waidingo or Daniel Hood add-ons, they are like that.

Not sure you totally got my point, I am having the following structure :
library/AddOnCompanyIdentifier/AddOnIdentifier/
ControllerPublic/
DataWriter/
Extends/ <= Here goes all the extended stuff
ControllerPublic/
DataWriter/
Model/
Model/
...​

I understand what your saying but most developpers do that separation between core extension stuff and add-on specific stuff.
See Waidingo or Daniel Hood add-ons, they are like that.

Not sure you totally got my point, I am having the following structure :
library/AddOnCompanyIdentifier/AddOnIdentifier/
ControllerPublic/
DataWriter/
Extends/ <= Here goes all the extended stuff
ControllerPublic/
DataWriter/
Model/
Model/
...​
Oh, I had never seen that, so I can add a field " Extends " to create the folders you've told me (y)

Well yeah, but that of course should be optional.

Btw, some comments on the existing architecture :
  • I don't honestly think you should put the capability to rename the folders, sticking to the default name is fine, just add the capability to have an extends folder with same structure.
  • You should then put a default structure with checkbox in front too choose which directories are to be created.
  • What is XDS default parameters ?
  • I tend to think that Install directory is not need or at least should be optional. I personnally put an Install.php file in the root folder of my add-on directory.
  • You should provide the capability to set the options group name which doesn't seem configurable from your screenshot. Same goes for the option description.

Now to the suggestions of what would be awesome to get to a really time saving add-on when developping:
  • js folder creation: optional, structure js/addoncompanyidentifier/addonidentifier/
  • styles folder creation: optional, structure default/addoncompanyidentifier/addonidentifier
  • creation of code listeners: from the interface, create the file in either the root directories or the extends directories along with appending to the proxy.php file and creating the listener.
  • have a single interface that gives a whole view of all the elements related to the add-on: template modifications, admin template modifications, templates, phrases, ... if you see what I mean ?
  • capability to fastly create routes/template modifications and so and so on from that interface as well as phrases.
  • capability to edit the file structure afterwards not only being able to create them
  • capability to create a zip archive directly from that archive
I am sure you share my advice on some of these suggestions :)

Oh, I had never seen that, so I can add a field " Extends " to create the folders you've told me (y)

The Extends (or as I call it "XenForo") is useful, if you have to extend not only one, but several different XF or third party add-ons. What would you do with your structure, if you have to extend the "Account.php" from both, XenForo_ControllerPublic and XenGallery_ConrollerPublic? ;)

Reactions: Xon
The Extends (or as I call it "XenForo") is useful, if you have to extend not only one, but several different XF or third party add-ons. What would you do with your structure, if you have to extend the "Account.php" from both, XenForo_ControllerPublic and XenGallery_ConrollerPublic? ;)

Ah you are damn right, extends is somehow not enough in that case if you extend multiple existing addons !
I guess it would be easier if he allows creation of a default add-on structure and then creation of a structure for one or X extended add-ons.

Ah you are damn right, extends is somehow not enough in that case if you extend multiple existing addons !
I guess it would be easier if he allows creation of a default add-on structure and then creation of a structure for one or X extended add-ons.
Can I try to list all the addons and then let you the possibility to extend choose which folders ?

Can I try to list all the addons and then let you the possibility to extend choose which folders ?

Guess that would be nice, but only support default xF add-on I think, and for each being able to choose which folders are needed.
Bear in mind that not only the few folders you pointed could be interesting, there is also others such as ControllerHelper or handlers directories... basically all xF directories ;)

Guess that would be nice, but only support default xF add-on I think, and for each being able to choose which folders are needed.
Bear in mind that not only the few folders you pointed could be interesting, there is also others such as ControllerHelper or handlers directories... basically all xF directories ;)
Yes, the next version will be more complete :p

Reactions: XFA
Top Bottom