Xbox LIVE API

fragicide

For those of you who may develop programs using Duncan Mackenzie's Xbox LIVE API, you may know that he has taken the service offline, which has left many developers and applications stuck in limbo, attempting feverishly to be accepted into Microsoft's XCDP program.

I have come up with a temporary solution, which was to create my own basic API that would allow some functionality while new routes are sought.

I personally use this API for my SimpleXBL application, and it has yet to fail me. It allows me to easily update the data harvester as necessary without having to make a new release, and also allows me to have more control over who has access to my application (license control). But I do have a public API that I just released the other day. More information can be found here: http://www.jblaze.net/2011/01/26/xbox-live-gamercard-api/.

If you are interested, awesome! If not, that's cool too. I just figured I'd post it here in case anyone else develops apps for Xbox LIVE and was wondering what to do.

I've always wanted to, but I really didn't want to rely on 3rd-party solutions and I did know about the one you mentioned but never used it. Glad I didn't rely on it after all. :p

Perhaps I'll look into your solution if I ever get interested in it again. :)

The Duncan API was cool, but there were many problems with it such as constant downtime or slow to load. It was up for around 3-4 years, and allowed many applications to use Xbox LIVE's data. Unfortunately, due to costs, he was forced to shut it down.

Developing apps for Xbox LIVE gets to be a real pain since Microsoft are very stingy about who they give access to, and they are always changing things.

Top Bottom