I've searched, but there are no obvious tutorials or posts that can help me.
I've previously bought XenForo 1.0 just after it came out, but didn't have the time necessary back then to complete an importer for the ultimate son of XMB -> UltimaBB -> GaiaBB. So I've just re-bought XenForo 1.2.4.
On my main forum, I have about 15,600 users, nearly 900,000 posts, 300,000 PMs, just shy of 90,000 threads and around 83,000 attachments, and growing daily. So I need a very solid and relatively fast importer. The good news is that as an ex-developer of XMB, UltimaBB, and GaiaBB, I do know my way around PHP and MySQL, but not so much around Zend or XenForo.
Can someone who has written a comprehensive importer from scratch give me some tips on the order of importing. My guess is:
- Ranks (as these are used by the membership table)
- Create a password adapter (XMB, UltimaBB, and GaiaBB use just MD5, which was due to be fixed, but in my infinite spare time)
- Forum permissions (We have around 70 forums, including a shared password forum, restricted suspended posts and moderator's paradise forums), so getting a "safe" out of the box experience would be best rather than leaving it to post-installation)
- Attachments (ours are in the database, which will need to be migrated to the file system by the looks of things)
- Posts (to allow fixups to the attachments)
- Polls (these are stored in exactly the same way as phpBB in UltimaBB and GaiaBB)
- PM attachments (ditto to the above)
- PMs (this is kludge city, and will probably require the most massaging)
- Favorites / Subscriptions (we have 18,000 favorites/subscriptions)
- Avatars and Photos (at least these are already on disk)
- Smilies (we have a large number of smilies used by our members)
- Address Book (it's not a heavily used feature and relies on usernames rather than userIDs)
I've installed XenForo, and my GaiaBB test forum on my devbox, which is a fraction of the size of my main forum. I've got them ready to restore back to scratch as I bet I will need to do this a bunch of times. Once the importer is mostly ready, I'll do a few trial imports of the real deal, as the main forum is a long term survivor of XMB 1.8 -> 1.9 -> UltimaBB -> XMB 1.9.11 -> UltimaBB -> GaiaBB.
Out of all the existing importers, which is the cleanest one I can borrow code from?
I could assist in the creation of an XMB importer once I've got UltimaBB/GaiaBB done (they're very close, depending on the schemaver, the main differences in settings and how polls work).