Would you run a sister forum that overlaps your main forum?

Alternadiv

I've been going back and forth with this for a long time now.

I run a niche forum dedicated to the Toyota Tacoma 2016 model-year and newer. Because the forum is for that specific model, it has been successful. I also run a large Instagram account that shares members' trucks, which is also popular because of how specific it is.

I do believe dialing in to a specific branch of your hobby is better than keeping it broad. Want to run a dog forum? Make it about your favorite breed.

Now, on the contrary...

There are a couple of huge, ancient Tacoma (all generations) and Toyota (all models) forums. The people who chose to use mine do so because of how much more modern, user friendly, organized, and welcoming it is. The appreciate my leadership style, values, and mission. For the purpose of this thread only, we can say I am an ideal person to be able to successfully compete with the ancient forums.

I, as well as most of my following, believe my version of a Toyota truck (all truck models) forum would be popular from the get-go. My concern isn't really about if I can do it.

My concern is that the sister forum would literally compete with my main forum. If I open a forum for all truck models, that would technically include the specific 2016 model-year truck that my main forum works. Splitting the community like that would be weird. Which forum are they expected to use at that point (for those who own that truck)? My solution would be to not cover that truck on the new forum, and instead use a node link to move them to my original forum. That would also feel weird, but not as bad.

What are your opinions on this? Does anyone already do something similar? Should I avoid spreading my own work load to more than I can potentially handle? Or should I take advantage of the fact that I already have a demand for this?

You should take advantage of it. I am not a fan of running 2 forums for several reasons. I believe channeling it into one forum is better than spreading out which will also mean less headache for maintanenance.

But perhaps there is a better solution. I believe you should definitely look into this addon. It lets you to keep your userbase and database and you can then do 2 domains with 2 userbases but use only one database (so everything is shared, no need to register 2 accounts etc.).

@XCentral

Perhaps reach out to those people who use this addon to get a feeling how they use the addon and if it suits your needs.

You should take advantage of it. I am not a fan of running 2 forums for several reasons. I believe channeling it into one forum is better than spreading out which will also mean less headache for maintanenance.

But perhaps there is a better solution. I believe you should definitely look into this addon. It lets you to keep your userbase and database and you can then do 2 domains with 2 userbases but use only one database (so everything is shared, no need to register 2 accounts etc.).

@XCentral

Perhaps reach out to those people who use this addon to get a feeling how they use the addon and if it suits your needs.
I saw the add-on and it is definitely something to consider. My only concern is if there is potential for a catastrophic failure. Could both, or my secondary site, ever have their database destroyed from this? Or, what if the add-on eventually stops being maintained? I suppose I should ask around. Thank you.

Valid points.

That is why I would think about how you can make the transition from a Tacoma forum to a more general Toyota forum without losing your identity.

Top Bottom