XF 2.1 Workflow

MoF

I have been learning Xenforo development and already went through the "Let's build an App" in the developer documentation. I am working on my own large application and I have noticed some things. First, even in the tutorial, it seems there is such a disconnect when doing different parts of the application. Once you start building something, you often have to stop, go out from the code, go to the ACP and change something in there, save, come back, then continue working. It really seems disruptive to the actual workflow.

For example, I am marking a forum and if that forum is marked in the ACP then we will have a different kind of post option. Pretty easy, but I need like 5 different connections in 3 different places just to make it work. Am I missing something?

First, I built the database tables and columns. Then you create the model entity class and use the ACP to hook it all up. So far so good.
Now, I want to save a value from the admin side of things into the database, so I create an admin forum controller to interact with my model. Still good.
Now that I have data, I want to modify my templates based on conditions... Oh wait, I need another controller for this that then doesn't have direct access to the model information I need? This is where I see the disconnect. Why am I making another controller just to see if the forum has a bit set or not?

It just seems redundant to have multiple entities doing the same thing but they all are ignorant of each other. I have my base folder Entities, then I have my XF entities. Then you have the same thing with controllers, services, repositories.

I think my question is why isn't there just one extended forum controller that can interact with the base model entity?

Does anyone have workflow tips, tools?

Thanks!

Top Bottom