XF 2.2 Work computers blocked

NYCFC

We switched to cloud last week and everyone previously accessing from work is now blocked.
Any solution to this or what could be causing it?

You mean from a business?
If so, odds are there is a firewall in place at "work" and the XF Cloud IP needs to be added into it as an exception. This would be done typically by the business IT provider.
I had one site that a local physicians clinic blocked.... it was a tobacco listed site (pipe & tobacco related), and their firewall prohibited it since it was a "no-no" there for any tobacco vice listed site to be passed through the WatchGuard.

We’ve been live for 8 years on a different host with no issues. So I’m assuming for 5+ people working different jobs to report the issue it’s due to the Cloud service being flagged as ‘social’ I don’t think any of them are willing to contact their job asking them to bypass work filters so they can do non work stuff.
Issue with some is they use their work computer for personal at night.

We’ve been live for 8 years on a different host with no issues. So I’m assuming for 5+ people working different jobs to report the issue it’s due to the Cloud service being flagged as ‘social’ I don’t think any of them are willing to contact their job asking them to bypass work filters so they can do non work stuff.
Issue with some is they use their work computer for personal at night.
That wont be anything that XF can really control. If they have a limited set of IP's, and if some of the sites they host are on those IP's are listed in a "no-no" list, then ALL sites on that IP will be banned if based upon IP connections. If it's based upon domain names, then it's easier to get around as you can request whatever firewall they are using to put an exception into their list for your domain.. maybe they will... but most likely they won't. But again, that is NOT something that XenForo can (nor should) be involved in... that is your responsibility as the domain owner or the end users at their work. And honestly, if I was an employee using my work computer for personal stuff, I wouldn't be willing to contact IT either as it would probably result in at least a corrective warning. The clinic I do volunteer IT work for recently terminated an employee after repeated use (and warnings about) of company equipment for personal pursuits. She felt it was her "right" since she was on lunch... not thinking about who actually pays for the hardware, the bandwidth and the support of that computer (which is actually done by me and is free, but I DO value my time if stupidity causes me to have to do extra work and I do tend to get vocal - I average about 23 hours a week minimum for their clinic). There is a REASON we minimize personal use... there's 2 Linux desktops set up in the lunchroom they can use that are firewalled off from the main infrastructure that were targeted toward that exact use. Only thing, they can't easily sit in front of them and eat their munchies like they could at their desk.

Last edited:
Try a suppor tticket.
If he has any more luck that I did when I was on a shared host that turned out had a few "p0rn" sites on it... he'll be lucky if XF can do anything... the ISP I hosted with never was able to get that IP cleared up, and was one of the original reasons I went to a VPS.

That wont be anything that XF can really control. If they have a limited set of IP's, and if some of the sites they host are on those IP's are listed in a "no-no" list, then ALL sites on that IP will be banned if based upon IP connections. If it's based upon domain names, then it's easier to get around as you can request whatever firewall they are using to put an exception into their list for your domain.. maybe they will... but most likely they won't. But again, that is NOT something that XenForo can (nor should) be involved in... that is your responsibility as the domain owner or the end users at their work. And honestly, if I was an employee using my work computer for personal stuff, I wouldn't be willing to contact IT either as it would probably result in at least a corrective warning. The clinic I do volunteer IT work for recently terminated an employee after repeated use (and warnings about) of company equipment for personal pursuits. She felt it was her "right" since she was on lunch... not thinking about who actually pays for the hardware, the bandwidth and the support of that computer. There is a REASON we minimize personal use... there's 2 Linux desktops set up in the lunchroom they can use that are firewalled off from the main infrastructure that were targeted toward that exact use. Only thing, they can't easily sit in front of them and eat their munchies like they could at their desk.
Appreciate the constructive response. Part of me was hoping there would be a simple solution but end of day I kind of figured it was a lost cause.

Appreciate the constructive response. Part of me was hoping there would be a simple solution but end of day I kind of figured it was a lost cause.
You're welcome... and sorry I couldn't bring better tidings. It is a hazard of shared hosting and many cloud offerings. The companies that keep up firewall lists can be dealt with if their blocking is domain based.... it's just a REAL hassle to do.
Your users may want to feel out their IT department and "innocently" ask if their firewall blocks sites based upon IP (most likely) or domain name. If domain name based, you can do some research and contact the maintainers of most of the major firewall lists and mayhap get an exception made in it... but based upon your comment about it not happening on any other hosts, I have a STRONG suspicion the firewalls in question use IP based blocking.

You're welcome... and sorry I couldn't bring better tidings. It is a hazard of shared hosting and many cloud offerings. The companies that keep up firewall lists can be dealt with if their blocking is domain based.... it's just a REAL hassle to do.
Your users may want to feel out their IT department and "innocently" ask if their firewall blocks sites based upon IP (most likely) or domain name. If domain name based, you can do some research and contact the maintainers of most of the major firewall lists and mayhap get an exception made in it... but based upon your comment about it not happening on any other hosts, I have a STRONG suspicion the firewalls in question use IP based blocking.
Definitely IP since they were all able to access the site no problem the day before the migration.

Top Bottom