WordPress & Xenforo Under One Roof

MQK8

I want to build (or have one built) a website using WordPress and Xenforo, I believe WordPress is by far the best content script and Xenforo is by far the best forum script. I want to use one domain for both, however I want WordPress to be the main application (I guess that's the right word) when someone opens the domain. My question is how would I add these two scripts on the server for this to happen? Any feedback/insight on this would be much appreciated.

You can have different applications under the same domain name. For example, your wordpress can be installed on www.yoursite.com and your forum under a subdirectory such as www.yoursite.com/community. That is the most straightforward way of doing it.

However, in my case it was a little bit more complicated. XenForo has always been installed on the root of my domain. When I decided I wanted to install Wordpress, I had two options: 1. Moving my forum from the root of the site to a subdirectory, which means I had to change my whole URL structure and possibly hurt my ranking with Google. 2. Installing Wordpress on a subdirectory.

I went for the number two option and by using a webserver rewrite trick, I managed to serve the homepage of my site with Wordpress without moving XenForo from the root of the site.

This means I have the following URLs:

www.mysite.com > wordpress (new homepage managed by wordpress)
www.mysite.com/forums > xenforo (this url is the new forum home)
www.mysite.com/threads/thread-title > xenforo thread (this URL didn't change nor any of the other XenForo URLs except from the forumhome)
www.mysite.com/content/news-title > wordpress post (wordpress content under a subfolder)

I think it works pretty cool.

Hi Julian
Thanks for the response, I wish WordPress had a plugin bridge for Xenforo, I'm sure they will in the near future. They have one for Simple Machines, vbulletin and a couple others but not for Xenforo just yet. Make life easier for a person like me, lol

Hi Julian
Thanks for the response, I wish WordPress had a plugin bridge for Xenforo, I'm sure they will in the near future. They have one for Simple Machines, vbulletin and a couple others but not for Xenforo just yet. Make life easier for a person like me, lol
Well, I use a plugin called XenWord. I think it's the best bridge available although it has some problems specifically with nested comments. It works fine and users are usually logged in into both the forums and the wordpress. Check it out.

Isn't Xenword for when you want to bridge your already installed Xenforo script to WordPress? I want it the other way around, WordPress first, then Xenforo.

Your easiest bet would be to have WordPress as the root with XenForo as a folder (such as /forums or /community) then create or use one of the available addon to allow single sign on which, when logged into one of the applications automatically logs you into the other.

Your easiest bet would be to have WordPress as the root with XenForo as a folder (such as /forums or /community) then create or use one of the available addon to allow single sign on which, when logged into one of the applications automatically logs you into the other.
Hi James

Yes, thanks for your response, after seeing how to do this that does seem to be the best way to go about this, seems there would be an addon to bridge Wordpress to Xenforo but far as I can tell there isn't. Thanks again for your help.

In what respect do you want to bridge WordPress to xenforo? Do you just want single sign on between the two applications or do you want more integration than that?
Just a single sign on, when you login to WP you're logged into Xenforo as well. I'm not an advanced computer person so may have to do it the other way around.

Yeah I've been checking XenWord out and I'll take a look at the other resources. I surely appreciate you pointing these out. I just thought it would cool to have a nice WordPress site with a Xenforo Forum to go with it. Surely the WP guys are working on this, they have a bridge for vb, simple machines and a few other silly forum scripts.

Top Bottom