WordPress MS-XF Integration: Is It Possible?

taylor_smith

Greetings. I'm shopping for fora software for a 2.5 million post community, but I have a question about WP MultiSite integration potential.

I will soon be using WordPress MultiSite to manage a network of portals. Ideally, I would like to support a single sign-on for all portals and our forums. We don't really need extensive integration--we just want our forums to share login credentials with WP MultiSite: if a user signs onto our forums, s/he should be able to comment on any portal post; if a user signs into any of our portals, s/he should be able to post on our forums. We would probably be willing to pay a developer to create something like this. My question is, Is it even possible to do?

Thanks for your insight.

Thank you. I've seen several WP-forum bridges, like this one, but I have not yet found one that works with MultiSite. I'll PM the plugin's author to see if s/he knows whether this is possible.

The creator of the plugin says that it should work with WordPress MS (formerly MU), though s/he hasn't tried to use it with the newest version of WordPress. I've purchased a license and am planning to give it a try. :)

I'm excited to give it a try! XF has been on my radar for a long time, but the lack of an infraction system kept us away (disclaimer: our 160,000 member userbase has a lot of trolls and we issue warnings/infractions on a daily basis). With the infraction plugin and the potential to bridge with WP MS, we jumped at the opportunity to buy a license.

I'm excited to give it a try! XF has been on my radar for a long time, but the lack of an infraction system kept us away (disclaimer: our 160,000 member userbase has a lot of trolls and we issue warnings/infractions on a daily basis). With the infraction plugin and the potential to bridge with WP MS, we jumped at the opportunity to buy a license.

XenForo has a few other things, such as user discouragement to handle trolls. Have you taken a look at that? From what I've found, I personally don't really use it myself, but from the forums that I know use an infraction system, a lot of people don't learn despite warnings.

Aye. VBulletin had a similar plugin called miserable users. However, as a staff, we decided that this method was a little underhanded for our taste.

Our infraction points will eventually lead to permanent bans. Occasionally, people will abuse the points system, but we typically identify them and issue arbitrary permabans. Karma wins in the end.

Ran the importer, but only ended up with 40k users and a few thousand posts, rather than our total 160k users and 2.5 million posts. Not sure why this happened. Going to have to do a fresh install and try again.

Did a little testing w/the bridge & WPMS...there does need to be a little work as far as I can tell -

-we need a script to tell WP to create a blog for each user (or user in a usergroup or selected users)

The proxy looks like it would need a lot more work to get WPMS to fit into XF, possibly to make the navigation similar to @onimua's LNBlog, but with the content/widgets from WP.

The proxy currently chokes on WPMS' default 'custom' URL pattern & default theme (twenty eleven), though it looks like both can be remedied by going back to the plain URL pattern and switching to the twenty ten theme.

I have to admit that I only played with it for an afternoon and reverted WP back to non-MS mode, so I'm going off of memory. If everyone wants more deets on testing (especially @xfrocks) I can recreate the testing environment.

Has anyone found any other Wordpress to Xenforo bridges with single sign-on capabilities? I would like the two user databases to be in sync with Wordpress maintaining the logins and primary control.

Top Bottom