Wondering if this is a premium theme or custom dev?

Hi guys - prospective Xenforo customer here looking for some help.

I like the theme used on https://www.benzworld.org/ for a few reasons...

1. The homepage is a 'feed' style, which reminds me quite a bit of Reddit. I like that a prospective user can visit the homepage and immediately see a list of topics without needing to click into a sub-forum. (as an additional question - does anyone know if there's a voting module for xenforo that makes it even more like reddit?)

2. I like how well the user sign up module is integrated with google / FB... i.e. the 'continue with Google' and 'continue with Facebook' buttons to reduce sign up friction.

3. The gamification / status around top posters... i.e. showing how many 'points' users have, 'reaction scores', etc.

I'm wondering how much of the above is built in to xenforo and how much is custom fev work? And whether the site I referenced is just a premium theme I can modify?

Also, does xenforo have other gamification modules? Like giving users custom awards / badges, etc.?

Thanks

Solution
It seems to be the theme developed by Verticalscope for their own sites. I doubt it is available to buy.

premium support is built into xenforo and called user upgrades of account upgrades. You should be able to see it in your demo.

The user sees it in their account settings but there is an addon that can present the upgrade options on registering.

All the other features you mention are part of xenforo.

By feed I think you mean new posts which can be a home page. Points system is there. Badges? Users can be promoted to groups based on posts or reactions and groups can be styled eg with a banner Under the avatar.

Voting is possible via polls or individually upvoting or downvoting posts in specific suggestion or question...
It seems to be the theme developed by Verticalscope for their own sites. I doubt it is available to buy.

premium support is built into xenforo and called user upgrades of account upgrades. You should be able to see it in your demo.

The user sees it in their account settings but there is an addon that can present the upgrade options on registering.

All the other features you mention are part of xenforo.

By feed I think you mean new posts which can be a home page. Points system is there. Badges? Users can be promoted to groups based on posts or reactions and groups can be styled eg with a banner Under the avatar.

Voting is possible via polls or individually upvoting or downvoting posts in specific suggestion or question forums/threads (like this one)

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah @Dragonfruit that's true, they're very 'samey'... I suspect the layout works quite well for engagement though.

There's many talented XF style developers here. I'm sure once you have a XF license and opened a dialog discussion to show them how you want the content stylized, they can help tailor one exactly to your needs that's uniquely designed to match your board's niche.

Yes. All of their sites use the same theme. Quite frankly I don't care for it since they removed or relocated many of the common XF 2.1 features. (I'm a member in about a half dozen of their boards.) But I did ask if they developed it themselves, and they did. I was inquiring about a feature I liked in the user profile and they developed that in-house as well. Surprising since so much of what they did was reinventing the wheel...

@Rudy Would be curious to hear a little more about what specifically you did / didn't like about the vertical scope theme if you have the time.
A few minor things. Overall it's nice to have the XenForo experience. But little things are a bit disconcerting.
  • Hiding the Edit and Report functions behind a menu at the top rather than leaving it with the other controls beneath the message.
  • No way to show ignored content--a standard XF install has a link somewhere on the page to reveal the content.
  • Two clicks to get to all the notifications, so you don't know if you have a private conversation or thread reply waiting for you without clicking your avatar. (There is no "letter" or "bell" icon at the top of the forum, in other words.)
  • Search results are not so good--sometimes I get nothing for a thread title search for a thread I know I created. (I don't know if they are using ElasticSearch or not.)
  • This is more a permissions issue--we can use colored text in post bodies, but this is turned off for signatures. (Some of us in car forums will match car brands and models we own to our individual colors.)
  • A control to hide the sidebar would be helpful for when I'm viewing on a tablet.
  • A few more theme color options would be nice also. With an upcoming forum upgrade I'm working on, I will have white, black, cool (faintly blue) and warm (faintly tan) color schemes.
No deal breakers by any means, just minor issues I'm not familiar with on a typical XenForo installation. And I realize it's a work in progress--they are rolling out improvements regularly.

It's probably best to ask in the following forum:

I only do development for forums I'm associated with, but there are others here who can do custom work. I first installed XenForo while it was still in beta prior to the release of version 1.0, so I've been here ten years.

Top Bottom