[WMTech] Unconfirmed Account Reminder

[WMTech] Unconfirmed Account Reminder [Paid] 2.0.1

No permission to buy ($4.00)

wmtech

wmtech submitted a new resource:

[WMTech] Unconfirmed Account Reminder - Enables reminder mails to be sent to members to ask them to confirm their email address.

Description:
If you run a forum where you require your new members to confirm their e-mail address (as each cautious forum owner should do) you will see that many new accounts will not be confirmed and sit in your system forever.

This product enables reminder mails to be sent to those members to ask them to confirm their email address. It also sends daily status reports to the forum admin showing which members have been reminded and which member accounts are unconfirmed.

It is also...

Read more about this resource...

I'm in need of a product like this, just a couple questions and requests.

I run a travel related forum where some new users may be away from their email for an extended period of time (a few weeks). So I need a longer cutoff time than probably a typical forum would set for new users just in case these new users are already on vacation and don't get around to their email till later. Your adjustable confirmation cutoff provides for this.

My questions is I see "Periodic emails will be sent" which doesn't say exactly how often these will be going out. If I set account confirmation cutoff at for example 30 or 45 days and someone goes on a 3 week vacation are they going to come back to 10 confirmation emails? This would definitely turn me off to a new web site. It would be nice to have a user adjustable "reminder email every X days until cutoff".

I would also like to see updated status information but the last thing I need is another daily email. Maybe a weekly email would be alright but for me I think the best option would be a status page view-able in the admin control panel with statistics that update daily.

Last question I have is what happens on initial install... I just checked and I have nearly 6,000 users awaiting email confirmations. I assume as it is now nearly all of them would automatically be deleted at next cron run if the cutoff date has expired. I would like to give these users the same amount of time to confirm as if someone had just signed up the day I install the add-on. This way they at least get a chance to see a reminder or two before I lose potentially thousands of members without any kind of reminder being sent to them.

Thanks.

My questions is I see "Periodic emails will be sent" which doesn't say exactly how often these will be going out.

You can set the cutoff period to any amount of days you like. Could be a year or more if you want. There are always just 2 periodic email reminders to the users which are sent after 1/3 and after 2/3 of the cutoff period. So, if you setup your cutoff period for example to 3 months, your users will get reminder mails 1 month and 2 months after their registration. This is not customizable and depends on the cutoff period.

I would also like to see updated status information but the last thing I need is another daily email. Maybe a weekly email would be alright but for me I think the best option would be a status page view-able in the admin control panel with statistics that update daily.

You will get daily status reports via email except you opt to get none if no users had to be handled and there were no users to be handled. This is also not customizable and there is no plan to add a status report page to your acp. You can search all unconfirmed users at any time using the default XenForo user search feature.

Last question I have is what happens on initial install... I just checked and I have nearly 6,000 users awaiting email confirmations. I assume as it is now nearly all of them would automatically be deleted at next cron run if the cutoff date has expired. I would like to give these users the same amount of time to confirm as if someone had just signed up the day I install the add-on. This way they at least get a chance to see a reminder or two before I lose potentially thousands of members without any kind of reminder being sent to them.

There is an option to NOT delete any member over the cutoff period. I would recommend to not activate the user deletion feature until after you are sure that your old members had enough time to confirm their accounts. After that time, just activate the deletion feature and every account over your cutoff time will be deleted automatically at the next cron run.

There is an option to NOT delete any member over the cutoff period. I would recommend to not activate the user deletion feature until after you are sure that your old members had enough time to confirm their accounts. After that time, just activate the deletion feature and every account over your cutoff time will be deleted automatically at the next cron run.

Just to confirm...
As the add-on exists currently it will not send a confirmation email to any existing user who has been around longer than 2/3rds of the admin settable cutoff period. For example if the admin sets the cut-off period to 30 days, any previously existing user awaiting email confirmation that has been in the system 21 days or more will not receive a confirmation email from this add-on.

If this is true, it also means that an admin would still have to manually initiate the sending a confirmation email individually to each existing user (that was around more than 21 days), since there is currently no way to do this other than manually going through each account. Which with the current XenForo options available to an admin would make it almost impossible.

The admin would have to:
  1. Click "Search for users" under Users in admincp
  2. Deselect User States:
    • Valid
    • Awaiting email confirmation (from edit)
    • Email invalid (bounced)
    • Awaiting Moderation
    • Rejected
    • Disabled
  3. Then click "Search"
  4. At this point you have a list of users "Awaiting email confirmation" and you can click of a user name
  5. User page is now open, click on top right button "Actions"
  6. Click on "Resend account confirmation"
Then start all over at 1. for the second user awaiting email confirmation. Then be sure to keep track of what user you are on because there is no way to tell who you've already manually sent an email to.​

-------------
In my opinion, this only makes this add-on viable for a brand new site. Any site that has been around a few months or more is likely to have a decent amount of users awaiting email confirmations already in the system and the only solution this add-on currently brings for them is to just delete those users.

Please consider adding an additional feature that better addresses dealing with existing users awaiting email confirmation.

In my opinion, this only makes this add-on viable for a brand new site. Any site that has been around a few months or more is likely to have a decent amount of users awaiting email confirmations already in the system and the only solution this add-on currently brings for them is to just delete those users.

Please consider adding an additional feature that better addresses dealing with existing users awaiting email confirmation.

Sometimes add-ons can handle only data starting with their installation. If you collected years and years of unconfirmed accounts, I doubt that any of them will now confirm the account after that long time. But I am in no position to tell you how you want to run your site.

So I would recommend this way of action in your case:

1) Install add-on to handle future registrations and setup cutoff period
2) Deactivate automatic deletion in options of add-on
3) Use XenForo user messaging system to send any unconfirmed member an email just like our reminder mails with a date until deletion
4) Wait until that date and activate automated deletion in our add-on
5) All unconfirmed member accounts will be deleted the next day
6) All future registration will be handled automatically

Is it possible to have the status reports turned off completely?
Is this integrated with bounce processing?
Is it possible to set reminder frequency?

Is it possible to have the status reports turned off completely?

Not currently, but we can add it easily to the next version.

Is this integrated with bounce processing?

No, because it has nothing to do with bounced mails. Bounced mails are already handled by XenForo itself. This just handles unconfirmed member accounts.

Is it possible to set reminder frequency?

The reminders are always 1/3 and 2/3 of the cutoff period and adapt automatically if you change the cutoff period. They cannot be setup individually.

I would like to send a reminder once a week for 4 weeks and then delete the account.

You can set the cutoff period to 28 days (4 weeks). Then reminder emails will be sent at day 9 and day 19 after registration.

Again, this is not customizable currently. And I don't think we will make this customizable neither in frequency nor in time in the future, because this would simply make the add-on much more expensive and bloated. One of our design goals was to not tamper with the database in any way for this add-on. Adding those features would need a "last reminder sent date" and similar additions to the user table, which is against our intentions for this lightweight and very affordable add-on.

Top Bottom