[WMTech] Double Post Merge

[WMTech] Double Post Merge 1.3.1

No permission to download
  • Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
S

Syndol

Syndol submitted a new resource:

Double Post Merge (version 1.0.0) - Merges consecutive posts created by the same user within a specified time frame.

About:
This add-on merges consecutive posts created by the same user within a specified time frame.
Merged post content is divided by a configurable text tag.

Features:
  • Based on user group permissions.
  • Time limit within which all double posts will get merged.
  • Time limit after which double posts "bump" the thread marking it as un-read and all watched thread alerts get sent out.
  • Quote alerts go out whenever the merging post includes...

Read more about this resource...

Oh, a free version, I'm shocked. :D

Thanks for this, I was searching a replacement of the old and existing merge addon.

Okay NOW I have to ask - has this been tested with Android? The other addon that did this deleted the first post when someone using an Android tried to use it.

I have not tested it with Android but if normal thread replies works on it then there is no reason why this should not.

Syndol updated Double Post Merge with a new update entry:

Version 1.0.1

What's new:
  • Thread Previews: Double post tags now display as line breaks.
Upgrade Instructions:
  1. Upload the file 'Upload/library/DoublePost/BbCode/Formatter/Text.php' to your server
  2. Upload the file 'Upload/library/DoublePost/Listener/LoadClassbbCode.php' to your server, overwriting the old one
  3. Optional (to display correct version) - Upgrade the addon-DoublePost_101.xml

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thanks for making this brilliant addon. I have a small suggestion: Can you make thread starter immune to double post merge. I think that double post merge is suitable only for quick replies.

If thread started is making such a long article, and the length of the article exceeds the length of a message allowed, the thread starter needs to separate the article. If you can make a condition that if length of the first message is above a limit, like 500 chars, the next post will not be merged if the next post's length exceeds a limit.

Thanks for making this brilliant addon. I have a small suggestion: Can you make thread starter immune to double post merge. I think that double post merge is suitable only for quick replies. If thread started is making such a long article, and the length of the article exceeds the length of a message allowed, the thread started needs to separate it. If you can make a condition that if length of the first message is above a limit, like 500 chars, the next post will not be merged if the next post's length exceeds some a limit.
Like!

Thanks for making this brilliant addon. I have a small suggestion: Can you make thread starter immune to double post merge. I think that double post merge is suitable only for quick replies.

If thread started is making such a long article, and the length of the article exceeds the length of a message allowed, the thread starter needs to separate the article. If you can make a condition that if length of the first message is above a limit, like 500 chars, the next post will not be merged if the next post's length exceeds a limit.
  • Do you want to exclude the thread starter if its the second post only or from all replies to the thread?
  • I'll add the message length limit.

Thank you Syndol for this long awaited addon. :)

I have questions on permissions settings :
- I tried to set the post/bump limit globally for Registered members to 60/60. Then I set 1/0 for moderators. It seems that my moderators are still subject to the 60/60 setup. Is this intended (check for Primary user group only)?
- Also, I tried to set up a single node with specific limits to 0/0 for Registered members. I clicked "Update permissions" and went to check back, and it actually reseted my settings to "Inherited" instead of registering it properly. It eventually inherits the 60/60 parameters. Is specific permission setting not supported by the addon?

- I tried to set the post/bump limit globally for Registered members to 60/60. Then I set 1/0 for moderators. It seems that my moderators are still subject to the 60/60 setup. Is this intended (check for Primary user group only)?
Permissions are always saved highest to lowest which means that in this case it is actually working against us and is not the behaviour we want. I had not noticed this because my user groups do not all inherited from the ‘registered’ group. I will look into reversing the priority order of this option. Once that is done you will have to resave the permissions for each user group for it to take effect.

- Also, I tried to set up a single node with specific limits to 0/0 for Registered members. I clicked "Update permissions" and went to check back, and it actually reseted my settings to "Inherited" instead of registering it properly. It eventually inherits the 60/60 parameters. Is specific permission setting not supported by the addon?
It would seem that setting an option to zero (0) at the node level does indeed return the inherit value. This happens on all options and is not specific just to this add-on. Not much I can do about that I’m afraid.

Do we still want the double post bump limit to go from highest to lowest or should that be reversed as well?

Thank you for looking into this.

It would seem that setting an option to zero (0) at the node level does indeed return the inherit value. This happens on all options and is not specific just to this add-on. Not much I can do about that I’m afraid.
I will set a 1/1 setting as a workaround for this particular node. This will only add an extra 30s to my flood limit setting between 2 messages, not a big deal.

Do we still want the double post bump limit to go from highest to lowest or should that be reversed as well?
In my personnal group hierarchy, the goal is to offer less restriction to more specific groups. I believe the same goes for XF admins who make use of User Upgrades. It would feel more coherent to go from (EDIT) lowest to highest in these cases. However, you may want to make this feature a selectable option for admins (like you) who did not begin with the same group hierarchy (if one).

• Do you want to exclude the thread starter if its the second post only or from all replies to the thread?
  • I'll add the message length limit.
I think we should exclude the thread starter for its consecutive first post. There are two ways:
If for a time after the first posts, the thread started does not make new posts, next posts will be affected by double post merge as normal.
The thread starter's posts will not merged for a time allowed, for example 60 minutes.

I end up with:

Something goes in here... and this is duplicated, then automatically merged.[DOUBLEPOST=1341278590][/DOUBLEPOST]Something goes in here... and this is duplicated, then automatically merged.

Any idea on how to fix the above issue Syndol?
Yes, find out which other add-on is not playing nice and is probably overwriting instead of extending function getTags() in BbCode/Formatter/Base.php
If it is a free resource then I can probably solve it for you, otherwise you'll have to ask the other author to look into it for you.

Top Bottom