1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With WWW or without WWW?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Roxas, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Roxas

Roxas Member

Hi I recently purchased xenforo and new to it.. I would like to asked which one is better is it with WWW or without WWW prefix?

Thanks...

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

They are usually functionally no different.

Using "www" is an old internet fashion. Many sites still use it. But some choose to drop it for the sake of concision.

3. Roxas

Roxas Member

Thanks for the reply.. so what do you suggest? does adding up or removing www will affect SEO?

4. Jake Bunce

I suggest no "www".

There is no impact on SEO.

5. ibnesayeed

ibnesayeed Well-Known Member

This is personal preference though. There is no strong opinion that makes one better than the other. I personally prefer keeping the main site with www instead of bare domain. That way if I have sub-domains like blog, forum, or whatnot, they all stay at the same level. That said, I would keep www.example.com but not www.blog.example.com. That means I will redirect example.com to www.example.com and www.blog.example.com to blog.example.com.

6. Roxas

Roxas Member

thanks for suggestion @ibnesayeed & @Jake Bunce one more thing about the recaptcha, is it build in? we dont have to insert private and public keys?

7. Jake Bunce

It's built-in but it's not very effective anymore. It is better to use the Q&A feature. You just need to create some questions.

8. Roxas

Roxas Member

alright mate thanks lot:)

9. ibnesayeed

I guess recaptcha works out of the box. But I prefer custom question answer. Especially in my forum (which is not in English) I can keep the question simple and do not expect a bot to find out an answer. This has worked great in our board so far. :)

10. Roxas

Roxas Member

Is that better than recaptcha?

11. ibnesayeed

Try both and see what works for you. I have put together my experience in my previous post. :)

12. Roxas

Roxas Member

thanks! do you know any good themes for v 1.2?

13. ibnesayeed

14. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

http://google.com

15. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Put them in a hat and pick one blindly... it doesn't matter. Do what eBay does, screw it all and let both run wild.