Duplicate With Username Changes, Remove ID From Profiles And Rebuild Quotes

frm

Both the ID number should be removed from /members/name.XXXXXX/ as XXXXXX will always identify the username changed, despite what is inputted, essentially making a username change moot in some instances and quotes stating the username in them should be rebuilt along with the change so that if they used personal identifying information and request to be forgotten through GDRP, the quoted name will change to what they change it as, as some may join with their real name, make 100s of posts and be quoted multiple times, only to have a moderator/admin go through and edit them out manually as censoring a name to be forgotten to rid quotes of said name may be unfeasible.

In the instance of profiles, it should just be /members/name and come up with a "404" of the member not being found. Otherwise, a username change doesn't do much as it's always linked to the ID of said user and [easibly] traced back to them through quotes, etc.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Why do you think Username change belongs to GDPR and the right to be forgotten? Thats related to delete the user afaik.

Why do you think Username change belongs to GDPR and the right to be forgotten? Thats related to delete the user afaik.
I don't know much about GDRP as I am not in the EU, but, from I can tell, the quotes will still remain which identify users.

So, if "Jack Smith" posted something and was subsequently quoted, the quote from "Jack Smith" will always remain, even if the posts were deleted along with the user (which could make for a nightmare to follow a thread). An admin/mod would have to go through and rebuild the quotes if the original message was also deleted along with the user as "Jack Smith" is PII.

The ID can't be removed - it is a fundamental concept of how the software works.
I don't see how it can't be removed as this is the suggestions forum.

Reddit works quite well with /u/ABCDEFG so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.
I believe updating quote attribution has already been suggested.
If this is true, then this shouldn't be marked as 'duplicate' as the username ID was suggested alongside the quotes to be rebuilt.

Top Bottom