Win10 update puts screen in start-up loop

Joe Kuhn

In the video, along the left and right edges, you can see it going from a desktop with icons to a white screen to a black screen and back to a desktop...infinitely:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This renders the machine useless. Almost. I was able to press Ctrl-Alt-Del and go into the Task Manager, where I eventually used another login that was stable and uninstalled the offending update which was:

KB4554132 - this bad boy was installed yesterday morning when the problem started. The problem stopped immediately after I removed that KB.

I initially looked for a missing upgrade to fix my problem because I wasn't sure what had caused it (wife surfs a lot of places I'd never go) and ended up in a loop there as well...waiting for the download, only to have it error several times in a row. That update is: KB4549951.

If I didn't have a different, stable login to use for that first kb unistall, I don't know what I would have done.

MS has some fixing to do. I tried to report the problem but couldn't find the place for Windows Update Issues. Anybody know where that might be?

My purpose here is to help somebody else in the same well pit. This one took some time and stepping away from to see options.

Last edited:
You might also notice the video shows "Windows Problem Reporting" as a task that is running. I let it run for a while in case it was doing something that might help my immediate issue. Nope.

Top Bottom