XF 2.2 Will xenForo cookie consent notice be on Google's list of certified CMPs?

Mr Lucky

Not content with recently making us jump through hoops editing the default xenForo consent notice, we now have this:

Google’s commitment to transparency and control means we regularly look at ways to improve the consent experience. When we do this, we’re thinking about evolving user expectations and regulatory indicators that we think will ultimately guide the broader online advertising landscape.
We recently announced in this blogpost that later this year, we will require partners using our publisher products — Google AdSense, Ad Manager, or AdMob — to use a Google-certified CMP that integrates with IAB Europe’s Transparency and Consent Framework (TCF) when serving ads to users in the European Economic Area or the UK. In the coming weeks, we will make available a list of certified CMPs that have integrated with the TCF and can demonstrate they meet the TCF’s specifications, and we’ll require that our publisher partners use a CMP from that list. This new requirement will apply to partners’ own accounts and those managed by partners on behalf of others. The list of Google certified CMPs will be available in our HC articles (Ad Manager, AdMob, AdSense).

I wonder if xenForo will be on the approved list, or whether we need to integrate a 3rd party "approved" CMP even though the xenForo team have done a great job in furnishing us with a GDPR compliant consent notice, but now Google has changed the goalposts yet again.

I'm sure that unless we use one of their approved CMPs then we will not be able to use adsense. And I'm also sure that integrating one of those is not going to be as easy and seamless as the provided xenForo consent notice. Grrrr.

Will xenForo be compliant?

Last edited:
If Xenforo do not provide a compliant solution, I predict this will happen:

1. Xenforo sales and renewals will drop because site owners cannot monetise their forums effectively.

2. Competing forum software that does provide a solution will grow their market share at the expense of Xenforo.

Forum software is forum software and not a cookie consent management software.

It is very easy to get a compliant CMP with proper TCF handling implemented. There are a lot of solutions for that. You just need to do your work as a forum manager.

It is very easy to get a compliant CMP with proper TCF handling implemented

Which ones for example? Maybe can be useful to others.

Forum software is forum software and not a cookie consent management software.

Forum Software is a platform, you are required by law to have certain features, so is not crazy to ask if they will try to certify their integrated solution.

Any official CMP provider with proper TCF 2 handling will get Google's certification. Otherwise they will go out of business.

Forum Software is a platform, you are required by law to have certain features, so is not crazy to ask if they will try to certify their integrated solution.

This is not possible, because XF does not have an "integrated solution" for a CMP with TCF handling.

This is not possible, because XF does not have an "integrated solution" for a CMP with TCF handling.

We...are asking if they are developing a compliant solution or they plan to do so. Their actual solution isn't useful anymore basically. The Cookie solution is another cost to forum owners (if you don't wanna use Quantcast or something that sells your users data).

Any official CMP provider with proper TCF 2 handling will get Google's certification. Otherwise they will go out of business.

Do you have names for compliant solutions with TCF 2.2?

You are misunderstanding who is liable or responsible for what.

XenForo is responsible for providing compliance regarding cookies for their software. They are not responsible for any third-party cookies or your specific use of the platform.

That isn't to say that they shouldn't look at having support for a CMP due to how many businesses use the software, but they are compliant as far as the platform laws require them to be.

Just use the CMP that's built into adsense.
I tried and just gave up after a while, it seems very complicated. Whereas on WP I use cookie yes plugin and it's very simple.

It makes sense to me to have something straightforward. We have a straightforward advertising option in xenForo, a straightforward cookie consent in xenforo, why not make the cookie consent compatible with Adsense?

I also wonder what happens if ads are only shown to specific users?

I tried and just gave up after a while, it seems very complicated. Whereas on WP I use cookie yes plugin and it's very simple.

It makes sense to me to have something straightforward. We have a straightforward advertising option in xenForo, a straightforward cookie consent in xenforo, why not make the cookie consent compatible with Adsense?

I also wonder what happens if ads are only shown to specific users?
Cookie consent in Wordpress is not straightforward; you're using a third-party plugin.

Also, cookie consent is complicated and is only going to get worse and worse. Laws will continue getting stricter, and different countries (or states) will begin to modify their rules over time as people view these laws as the line in the sand to toe rather than the guidelines to follow.

Been using the Adsense one for a while. It's somewhat familiar to visitors, insomuch as it pops up on lots of other sites; is configurable to some degree; and is free and ready-made. Why reinvent the wheel?

Also, who wants to forfeit revenue to pay a consent provider - sort of defeats the object of displaying ads to support the running of your site/s doesn't it?

Last edited:
I recall there being a Google product employee posting on these forums sometime back. It would be good to get a perspective from them on this. I've been looking at this for a while this morning, and it's a convoluted nightmare.

I can't wrap my head around what I should be doing to protect my visitors interests while also monetizing my site, and by the way, offering a decent user experience in the process. These crazy consent pop-ups are absolutely killing the Web..... as if social media were somehow a better place to send everyone!

I don't know what the solution is, but this ain't it:

1691512155181.webp

I recall there being a Google product employee posting on these forums sometime back. It would be good to get a perspective from them on this. I've been looking at this for a while this morning, and it's a convoluted nightmare.

I can't wrap my head around what I should be doing to protect my visitors interests while also monetizing my site, and by the way, offering a decent user experience in the process. These crazy consent pop-ups are absolutely killing the Web..... as if social media were somehow a better place to send everyone!

I don't know what the solution is, but this ain't it:

View attachment 289618
Store/access information on a device = legitimate interest
Basic ads = legitimate interest (if you display ads)
Personalized ads = consent

Most of the others can be ignored, but that is dependent on your site.

The person from Google who posted was from Search and not related to ads, analytics or CMP.

Thanks, that helps some. So just for a broad understanding (I feel like I'm walking into this sideways), would the idea be to disable the built-in XF Cookie consent system if I choose to leverage the Google consent system? I have a premium user group who enjoy an ad-free experience, but I guess this would only need to show for Guests.

However, I do indeed use Google Analytics to evaluate user behaviors (in aggregate / anonymized -- this includes premium users; my GA does not distinguish usergroups... so I'm guessing I'd require consent for this as well -- edit: disregard; aggregated data analysis does not require consent):
Measure content performance
The performance and effectiveness of content that you see or interact with can be measured.

But if Premium users don't see Adsense, would they miss the opportunity to provide consent on this activity?

I'm daunted by their full-screen pop-up for this, vs. XF's less intrusive bottom-of-page overlay. It's a disappointing UX to be greeted with legal consent treatment in the primary viewing area when visiting a site.

Re: the Google rep, I didn't think they'd necessarily be the SME for this, but it would be good to have a Google ambassador for forum owners.

Last edited:
I've been assuming I can ignore this for a few months and then turn it on when/if the next version of XF is released. I'm also assuming it's straightforward to just use Adsense's own implementation. Anything wrong with that plan?

Since this is only needed for the EEA and the UK, will the message be displayed to ONLY those users? Or is this intrusive message going to display for everyone here in the USA as well? My traffic is mostly USA and Canada.

Top Bottom