XF 2.2 Will xenForo cookie consent notice be on Google's list of certified CMPs?

Mr Lucky

Not content with recently making us jump through hoops editing the default xenForo consent notice, we now have this:

Google’s commitment to transparency and control means we regularly look at ways to improve the consent experience. When we do this, we’re thinking about evolving user expectations and regulatory indicators that we think will ultimately guide the broader online advertising landscape.
We recently announced in this blogpost that later this year, we will require partners using our publisher products — Google AdSense, Ad Manager, or AdMob — to use a Google-certified CMP that integrates with IAB Europe’s Transparency and Consent Framework (TCF) when serving ads to users in the European Economic Area or the UK. In the coming weeks, we will make available a list of certified CMPs that have integrated with the TCF and can demonstrate they meet the TCF’s specifications, and we’ll require that our publisher partners use a CMP from that list. This new requirement will apply to partners’ own accounts and those managed by partners on behalf of others. The list of Google certified CMPs will be available in our HC articles (Ad Manager, AdMob, AdSense).

I wonder if xenForo will be on the approved list, or whether we need to integrate a 3rd party "approved" CMP even though the xenForo team have done a great job in furnishing us with a GDPR compliant consent notice, but now Google has changed the goalposts yet again.

I'm sure that unless we use one of their approved CMPs then we will not be able to use adsense. And I'm also sure that integrating one of those is not going to be as easy and seamless as the provided xenForo consent notice. Grrrr.

Will xenForo be compliant?

Last edited:
Thanks.

Ah wait.. I have that one off and then they get Consent or Options, no close indeed, but only the "justified consent" is enabled by default. I presume there is no way to set the normal options enabled by default?

Is that legitimate interest?

You can set the default in the main overall GDPR settings that applies to all sites. (Not the settings for each site)

It is confusing, but then that's Google for you.

gdpr.webp

It is confusing, but then that's Google for you.
Doublechecked, seems I've done everything correct, personalised ads active.
I didn't had all purposes selected so I set them all now to active, don't know if that is good.

You got 2 active, what is the second one?

Still nothing goes active by default except for the legitimate interest. If you or anybody else can point me to the correct setting (if possible/present) to have the normal options set to be allowed by default (like legitimate interest) that would be great.

Still nothing goes active by default except for the legitimate interest.
That's how it should be - consent can never be enabled by default and legitimate Interest doesn't matter for ads, it's not being used any longer as of TCFv2.2

The current version of the TCF Policies allows the use of legitimate interest or consent to carry out data processing operations for Purposes 3 (Create a personalised ads profile), 4 (Select personalised ads), 5 (Create a personalised content profile) and 6 (Select personalised content). The TCF Policies will be amended to remove “legitimate interest” as an acceptable legal basis for these Purposes. As a consequence, within the scope of the TCF, Vendors will only be able to select consent as an acceptable legal basis for these Purposes at registration level.

That's how it should be - consent can never be enabled by default
Oh then I don't know how they've done it, but I have seen this enabled by default by some sites. So you just have to deselect what you don't want to be used. Maybe it's something similar then but it looked (layout wise) the same as the one from Google.

Anyway, if it's not supposed to be enabled by default then it's fine by me.
I thought it was possible to enable by default, so users could switch it off themselves if needed. Thank you!

I've more or less come to the conclusion I will disable the Google CMP and just use the xenForo one, I'd rather swallow the income from EU ads than annoy users/visitors.

Last edited:
It will just ad a single line on the bottom of the forum if they want to change their choices at any time.
Except it will be two, the xenForo one and the Google one (which is not a replacement for the xenForto one

see:

Yes, you technically still need the existing cookie if you do not setup the "Add purposes for your own use" option:

And as I have no idea how to set that up (and there is no help anywhere I can fins) , then I will need two.

Except it will be two
Two cookies, only 1 little banner. I can't see anywhere a cookie change banner for xenforo on my site.

As for the "add purposes for your own use" that is an option you will see when creating the Google adsense thing. If I'm correct it's under the button of the lowest options. I just enabled all to be sure.

Two cookies,

A lot more than two. Some essential, others not. Here is selection

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 16.52.44.webp

The Google add purposes for your own use just seems to list stuff to do with advertising, nowhere to mention what the xenForo Cookies ore what they are called so it doesn't seem to me that it can incorporate the xenForo cookies or their descriptions.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 16.51.40.webp

I use the xenforo settings by default and then on the lower screenshot I selected all in the middle column so I'm done with it.
Don't know if that's a good thing, probably it can be optimized, but this way users only have to click once (at registration) for the Xenforo section and once for the adsense thing and that's it.
Users won't be bothered with anything after that.

But that's how I did it, everybody has it's own choice ofcourse.

but this way users only have to click once (at registration) for the Xenforo
Yes but it's not so much registered users but guests I am concerned about. Sorry I didn't make that clear above I was using "users" in the same sense as Google, ie all visitors to the site have edited above to include visitors.

In my case registered users won't see the Google one as they don't get ads.

Guests have to click both once also as long as they keep the Google and Xenforo cookie(s).
Also a lot of guest most likely will use ad-blockers so they might only see the Xenforo button to accept. At least uBlock is blocking the one from Google.

So it depends on the visitors themselves imho.
But it's you're choice ofcourse.

Top Bottom