Will Enhanced Search occupy more drive space than the current SQL DB?

It may sound like a silly question with terabyte hard drives on the cheap, but we are using all SSDs now in our servers, so free space is somewhat of a limiting factor.

We currently have ~1.2 million posts and while SQL search is slow, I don't think a lot of users rely on it since we've also enabled Google search as an option and their indexing is really good except for the newest stuff. On the other hand, we are working on an add-on that can search the database and come up with similar threads automatically.

My question: As a rule of thumb, will ES increase the amount of storage space required? Our current search index takes about 2.5GB.

* We will enable stemming, of course :)

Thanks!

It may sound like a silly question with terabyte hard drives on the cheap, but we are using all SSDs now in our servers, so free space is somewhat of a limiting factor.

We currently have ~1.2 million posts and while SQL search is slow, I don't think a lot of users rely on it since we've also enabled Google search as an option and their indexing is really good except for the newest stuff. On the other hand, we are working on an add-on that can search the database and come up with similar threads automatically.

My question: As a rule of thumb, will ES increase the amount of storage space required? Our current search index takes about 2.5GB.

* We will enable stemming, of course :)

Thanks!

My 1.4M post forum takes up 1.2gb ;)

Thanks again Slavik. I just read another post from you in this forum that says ES has "more like this" support built in.
I'm pretty much sold on the idea now -- I actually bought ES add-on months ago, but just getting around to it.

Top Bottom