Will Android Last?

I thought the main complaint against Samsung was the Samsung unit looked almost exactly like an iPad/iPod?

What gets me is when patents are granted for the design of software - software appearance should be exempt from patents as I'm pretty sure it is in the UK. Sure, algorithms are (I'm pretty sure) patentable, but design no. Design is protected via Copyright laws anyway.
One I believe was looks. Now its the use of Android, as any manufacturer that uses it is infringing Apples patents they have their software, I believe.

Its not the phone, its the use of Android on the phone. Its legal for Google to build the software, as they are not distributing it for sale. The phone manufacturers are... which is why I believe Apple are taking near every handset operator who uses Android to court, for violation of their patents on their OS, which Android apparently does breach. Oracle also has a lawsuit against Google for infringing their patent with use of Java in Android...

I have seen many a lawsuits of Google taking Yahoo or Microsoft to court and winning for trying to copy their patented software that makes Google search, well.... Google! Now the shoe is on the other foot, though unfortunately its not illegal to create the software it seems... but distributing the software is the issue, hence why I believe Apple have to target all phone manufacturers that are using it and not Google directly.

That is the issue. Has something to do with Apple basically having the patent/s on the app based mobile OS and some features of said software, as the originator of the idea.

Sheesh...all this lawsuit business is getting old. Some of these companies just need to man up and bring forward something even greater than what was 'copied'. All these ridiculous lawsuits just waste time, energy, and money.

Android is good I do like the simple use of ios but its just the same thing upgrade after upgrade you get the same thing just a bit faster apple is boring me!

Google rule pretty much everything they get into its only because apple gotvthere first that they think there any better it will all be settled with both sides signing contracts etc etc

I think googles already got them as it sold some to HTC to help fight their battle against apple.

IBM have also jumped it and sold google 1023 patents to help in the android vs iphone fight. (Link)
IBM patents were for the lawsuit against Oracle, as IBM is their major competitor.

I think they should just all sign contracts between themselves and pay one another appropriately to use each others patents... then everyone wins.

I can understand why Apple have done what they've done... you put in the hard work, which you do for the gain later. They are obtaining that gain, well recognised, by being the #1 company in the world today, exceeding Mobile Exon. Who would have thought, computing would ever exceed oil?

Google are the complete opposite. They endorse the free market... not the 'for profit' market. Google are happy to make a lot of money through their search and ads on their associated platforms and softwares, keeping it free to the consumer... doing it extremely well, and growing brand strength (not sure they really need to do that).

Google are aggressive when it comes to someone infringing their patents... yet at present, Apple hasn't launched against them for creating the OS... again, I don't think they can due to the way laws are structured... from what I have read on it... but you never know, that day may come as well.

I hope they can all shake hands soon, sign shared agreements and simply split profits and companies pay respective companies for their patented work and get on with life.

To me... if Apple are getting a cut of every phone sold with Android on it, then they continue to profit outside of their own equipment and software. I guess its a personal choice, one which they have not opted for... maybe they will, maybe they won't. Apple are winning cases though across the globe, and the more they win, the worse it becomes... Sure, they have lost some, and will lose some... but they 'are' winning the majority that have gone before a court thus far.

I don't know why Google and mobile companies don't just sit down with Apple and work out a deal. Though that would maybe mean they have to admit they used patents without permission or payment!!!

I don't think this will just hurt Apple... but Google as well, and the phone manufacturers. With Samsung already talking about just calling it quits distributing Android, because their sick and tired of the lawsuit drama, that equals a loss for consumers, Samsung, Google, etc. Competition is what keeps innovation moving. If Samsung drop Android to avoid further legal drama... then other phone manufactures may also do the same.

Apple doesn't want to shake hands, they want to hinder Google's market growth through lawsuits. If this does happen, we all lose. No one will be able to compete with Apple if they have to pay massive fees to make a smartphone.

I don't see why you think Apple is so innovative in first place. After all, Android was in development two years before the iPhone.

Looks like the war is spreading:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile...gies_Sues_Apple_for_Patent_Infringements.html

Apple seems to be making lots of enemies with their current approach.

You have to love VIA's lawsuit, going down to logic level :D

the patents at issue cover microprocessor functionality, namely “method and apparatus for double operand load” (6253312) and “instruction set for bi-directional conversion and transfer of integer and floating point data” (6253311 and 6754810)

I think they should just all sign contracts between themselves and pay one another appropriately to use each others patents... then everyone wins.

I can understand why Apple have done what they've done... you put in the hard work, which you do for the gain later. They are obtaining that gain, well recognised, by being the #1 company in the world today, exceeding Mobile Exon. Who would have thought, computing would ever exceed oil?

Google are the complete opposite. They endorse the free market... not the 'for profit' market. Google are happy to make a lot of money through their search and ads on their associated platforms and softwares, keeping it free to the consumer... doing it extremely well, and growing brand strength (not sure they really need to do that).

Google are aggressive when it comes to someone infringing their patents... yet at present, Apple hasn't launched against them for creating the OS... again, I don't think they can due to the way laws are structured... from what I have read on it... but you never know, that day may come as well.

I hope they can all shake hands soon, sign shared agreements and simply split profits and companies pay respective companies for their patented work and get on with life.

To me... if Apple are getting a cut of every phone sold with Android on it, then they continue to profit outside of their own equipment and software. I guess its a personal choice, one which they have not opted for... maybe they will, maybe they won't. Apple are winning cases though across the globe, and the more they win, the worse it becomes... Sure, they have lost some, and will lose some... but they 'are' winning the majority that have gone before a court thus far.

I don't know why Google and mobile companies don't just sit down with Apple and work out a deal. Though that would maybe mean they have to admit they used patents without permission or payment!!!

I don't think this will just hurt Apple... but Google as well, and the phone manufacturers. With Samsung already talking about just calling it quits distributing Android, because their sick and tired of the lawsuit drama, that equals a loss for consumers, Samsung, Google, etc. Competition is what keeps innovation moving. If Samsung drop Android to avoid further legal drama... then other phone manufactures may also do the same.
1. Apple didn't make the first smartphone, nor did they come up with the majority of the technology for the iPhone, they just adapted it to their use.
2. The majority of their patents were pre-existing technology that they adapted, and used the adaption as a method to patenting the idea. Abuse of the patent system.
3. Apple hasn't been innovative in quite a while (iPhone4 really had nothing going for it other than the retina display, which was only new to phones but was already worked on by manufacturers previously). iOS5 contains features stolen directly from their competition and even their own developers (Jailbreak and otherwise).
4. The lawsuit against Samsung deals with the appearance of the Galaxy line. They've doctored photos to make it look even MORE similar, and basically are just abusing the legal system.

All of this, and with how closed and proprietary Apple has gone over the last decade (and before quite honestly) is why I will no longer buy their products.

Android will eventually dominate the mobile devices industry.
Apple's closed ecosystem is currently working very well ... but it is unlikely to last.
But before then, Apple is going to make a BOAT LOAD of money.

of course but apple think there gods gift to mobile phones, all they have done is put other companys parts together and stuck IOS on it... then stuck a shiny apple icon on it

Top Bottom