1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildfire Forces 20,000 Evacuations Near San Diego, California

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amaury, May 14, 2014.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

All because some idiot thought, "I don't feel like leaving my cigarette in the car, so I'll just toss it out the window and won't care where it lands."

@Jake Bunce, @digitalpoint, and whoever else lives there, please stay safe!

Wildfire Forces 20,000 Evacuations Near San Diego, California
    • Source: ABC News
    • Published: May 13, 2014

wickedstangs likes this.
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Could see it earlier today from my backyard...

image.jpg

3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That's like 5 hours south of me.

Amaury likes this.
  4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you're safe, then.

5. wickedstangs

wickedstangs Well-Known Member

@digitalpoint Damn look at the size of those home''s must be nice:).. Thats your backyard?... When's the invite :)

6. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

The city's alert system sent out an alert saying there was a "fire in your pants."

[​IMG]

I can't deny it gave me a giggle but in all seriousness I hope everyone is safe :)

7. digitalpoint

Definitely another fire today... The one yesterday was to the south, this one is to the west of me. Maybe Carlsbad or Encinitas area.

image.jpg

8. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Hopefully this one's natural.

9. digitalpoint

Either way, hopefully it's out soon. :)

Amaury likes this.
  10. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Never really understood wildfires...

Don't get them in the UK.

11. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Wildfires aren't too popular in our area. We just happened to get unlucky the last two summers (2013 and 2012) with several wildfires.

12. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

Okay this explains everything.

13. digitalpoint

I'm like in the middle of then all... New fire in San Marcos just started to the north of me.

The second picture is right when it started (I happened to be over there running errands).

image.jpg image.jpg

14. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Nature hates you guys. :(

15. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

Turns out eBay set them to further get back at Shawn.

16. OSS 117

There's about a half of a billion dollars worth of real estate there in the area. From land to houses. After the last fires there not long ago, we sole whatever land and homes we had to a national bank for more than we bought. I can't speak for that specific area in Shawn's post, but one of the properties was a few miles away from SD fires from about 3 or 4 years ago. It happens every time we've had a rough and dry year in SoCal. You can either take a risk and not get burned as a home owner or investor.

For us it was a simple choice. Either get really lucky or lose the homes. Land can still be sold after a fire. In fact a fire is good for land richness. It burns impurities in the soil and returns the ash back into the ground, it also speeds of decomposing of dead wild life. It gives nutrients and life to the soil. I'll end the hippy farmer talk there.

Losing around 450 Million worth of housing and land real estate is not productive. It would have been a pain in the ass getting the insurance companies to pay out a fraction of the cost. It's the bank's loss now. :)

I was in SD for an hour this morning before driving back to LA. I had no idea there were fires and thought I smelled really delicious BBQ. *shrug*

17. digitalpoint

You can definitely tell there are fires now... San Diego is blanketed by smog from the fires. The San Marcos one is still big and burning.

There is a 747 water tanker or something or something now.

18. digitalpoint

Okay, not a 747... But close... DC10 super tanker laying down a ton of fire retardant.

wickedstangs, OSS 117 and Amaury like this.
  19. OSS 117

If this keeps going then I'd say Canada will send some of her finest water tankers that can scoop up water from the ocean and dump it onto the fire.

20. digitalpoint

Fire smoke makes good sunsets at least. :)

image.jpg

OSS 117, wickedstangs and Amaury like this.