Why you can't work at work

Jerry

The principles he's talking about here is how vB was origionally created, and how xF has been (from what I know and have seen).

http://bigthink.com/ideas/18522

The "getting in to it" he's talking about is known as flow , though none of it is really that revolutionary as DeMarco and Lister wrote about it ages ago in a book everyone in tech should read.

http://www.amazon.com/Peopleware-Productive-Projects-Teams-Second/dp/0932633439

Though it's good to see it getting more air time and start ups just having the people who actually create things and shedding useless, pointless and typically self interested and destructive management.

It's something I feel quite passionate about and am starting my own place with a few others now on the same principles, as well as trying to rid places of "management" roles and appointed leader roles as I go.

Lots of places are shedding management now I'm glad to see, realising the pointlessness of people who don't actually do the work trying to make decisions on it.

Not management per se is bad but there are good managers and bad ones.

A good manager will help the developing team, try to help keeping the flow, respect all good ideas coming from the team and do all to overcome difficulties from outside.

The problem with management is often that they lose contact with the workplace, and/or worse, their customers. Size of company doesn't always matter, even though a small (start up) company can often have an advantage there.

Great video btw, and what he says is actually scientifically proven too.

Not management per se is bad but there are good managers and bad ones.

Indeed, there is a link to the personality and personal style etc, though it's the role and typical behaviours and assumptions I have issue with. I've been in that role a few times, though I've never seen myself or said I was a manager, to me it was all group facilitation (I've trained as a counsellor, and it makes way more sense to me).

I just find the relevancy this has to software people overwhelming !

Someone pointed out a funny fact. Normally people, who are best at what they do, will be promoted to managers regardless of their managing skills or motivation. Either that or dead end.

Well, you get the idea anyway.

Top Bottom