Why no links back to home/resource manager page for add-ons?

Mouth

So I scan down my list, getting longer, of add-ons (/admin.php?add-ons/) and look at many of the names and version numbers and wonder to myself what exactly this mod does again, and if perhaps there is a version upgrade I missed.

So, I go to the options page (/admin.php?options/) and sometimes strike mild frustration #1 - the add-on name doesn't always match the options title/name and thus makes an add-ons options page harder to find.

Once found (if indeed it has one, not all do), I see the config/settings available and usually remind myself of what this add-on's functionality is. Sometimes I'm still not sure, but more often I wan't to go check out the add-on's home page or XF resource manager page to read more about it and explore it's usage further from others tips/discussion. May as well check if there is a new version number available too. And here is more than mild frustration #2 - there is no link anywhere back to the resources resource manager page or other home page. I have to go search the resource manager to find it, or even google it's name.

So, a long winded background to my query ..... why do developer not include a URL/link back to the resource manager page or home page with in the add-on list of within the add-ons options settings page?

URLs are there, but you won't see it unless you are running forum in debug mode. I think its an oversight in XenForo.

There's a URL field under the add-on settings for that particular add-on. I've been pasting in the link to the resource manager there. I think Arty's right, though. It only appears in debug mode, because you can't edit the add-ons otherwise.

Thanks and yes, aware of them in debug mode. But rarely (need to) use it.
But couldn't developers easily put it in their respective add-ons options page?

Thanks and yes, aware of them in debug mode. But rarely (need to) use it.
But couldn't developers easily put it in their respective add-ons options page?
Not a bad idea but then it is a standard that all developers will have to follow. I for one would agree to do this.

Not all add-ons use options, but all add-ons are listed on add-ons page. It would be much better if XenForo was showing links on add-ons page instead of duplicating content on other pages.

The best way is for XF to implement this by unpacking a zip, adding the RM link to the addon XML and then repacking the zip when it is upload to the RM. This link will then be visible in the addon information page and a link to RM will also be present in the dropdown in the addon list.

The best way is for XF to implement this by unpacking a zip, adding the RM link to the addon XML and then repacking the zip when it is upload to the RM. This link will then be visible in the addon information page and a link to RM will also be present in the dropdown in the addon list.
That doesn't cover when add-ons are purchasable and hosted elsewhere.

Arty was right in that the URL field is already existing and just has to be displayed properly. Once that is there I'm sure more developers would be inclined to post the URL. For now, it's mostly pointless as you have to jump through a few hoops to get to it.

If it is RM link, it can't be added until the first version of an addon is uploaded, as for paid addons or those hosted elsewhere, well there is no solution but for the developers to add the link for thr URL field when publishing addons.

If it is RM link, it can't be added until the first version of an addon is uploaded, as for paid addons or those hosted elsewhere, well there is no solution but for the developers to add the link for thr URL field when publishing addons.
Create the resource,upload a fake attachment, save the resource url, insert the url to your product and replace the fake resource with the right one:)

Problem solved.

Arty was right in that the URL field is already existing and just has to be displayed properly.
So we just need an Add-On (if a hook is available?) to take the existing URL field and display it normally, not just in debug mode?!

Top Bottom