Why is XenForo so expensive

I didnt know what category to post this thread in so I posted it here. But I have to ask, why is a XenForo license without any addons so expensive. I don't really like the style of other forum software and XenForo is the forum software that is the most appealing to me. And I don't want to get scammed by buying a license second hand from another website

What are you comparing it to? I find it a pretty good value as software goes.

The fact that they will still sell me a perpetual license rather than trying to milk me for subscription fees is a good thing.
Comparing to Enjin, Flarium, Discourse, and much other software. Most of them are monthly subscriptions, I like XenForo because it's a 1 and done payment for the software. And I like the way and look of the software. There is also so many other forum software, but so far I really like XenForo. Just asking why it's so expensive (besides 1 time purchase for software)

Comparing to Enjin, Flarium, Discourse, and much other software. Most of them are monthly subscriptions, I like XenForo because it's a 1 and done payment for the software. And I like the way and look of the software. There is also so many other forum software, but so far I really like XenForo. Just asking why it's so expensive (besides 1 time purchase for software)
Maybe it's my 20+ years in IT talking, but a perpetual license that costs the same whether you have 10 users or 1000 seems like a hell of a deal to me. In my world, you would pay for a server license, then some kind of user-based licensing, or maybe per processor/core these days. And you would pay annual maintenance of anywhere up to 25% on all of that, too. And that's back when they would actually sell you a server license. Now they want it all as a per user, per year subscription and it stops working if you don't pay. So $160 upfront and $55 per year for OPTIONAL maintenance (and I have skipped years myself) for unlimited users on any number of processors or cores looks really damn good to me, even paying US$ (for which we Canadians pay a premium in our dollars). YMMV.

Why is a Cadillac more expensive than a Chevy? Both have four wheels and drive down the highway.

Unlike cars, there are FREE forum board distros. phpbb is probably where you should start, then if it's still around after a year you've had time to save up for the Cadillac!

The board I briefly got involved in trying to save (by moving it to Xenforo) uses open source code as a base but then had to have a programmer on retainer and still lacks features we take for granted on XF. You get what you pay for.

The board I briefly got involved in trying to save (by moving it to Xenforo) uses open source code as a base but then had to have a programmer on retainer and still lacks features we take for granted on XF. You get what you pay for.
Agreed.
I'm a simple man. I like it, I buy it.

XF is enterprise software.

most enterprise software starts at 50,000. The fact that it's 160 is a hell of a bargain in my eyes.
I’ve been through many forum softwares in 10 years of my web development and xenforo is definitely the best

Whether it is expensive to you depends on where are you living in and your income level comparing to Anglo-Saxon countries.

To me (a local citizen in a small town in Mainland China) XenForo $160.00 equals approximately 1,036.14 CNY.
The average income of a local civil servant here, after tax, is between 3k and 4k CNY per month.
Some expert jobs can have incomes around 7000-10000 CNY per month.

Average incomes are higher in big cities like Peking, Shanghai, and Shenzhen, etc.

Why is a Cadillac more expensive than a Chevy? Both have four wheels and drive down the highway.

Unlike cars, there are FREE forum board distros. phpbb is probably where you should start, then if it's still around after a year you've had time to save up for the Cadillac!
I thought that MyBB is better in security. It runs rock-solid and provides vB3-like experience.

I'd just like to add for anyone who thinks that XF is expensive, should see the price of Invision Community.

While this software does compete with XF on quality and features (I tried the demo and have an old license bought off a friend who ran his forum on it years ago, so I have first hand experience of it) it's an eye watering $600 to buy it. The renewals are then $100 every six months! So, just renewing this software costs a lot more than the initial XF purchase price of $160! XF renewals are only $55 / year too, or effectively £27.50 every six months for a direct comparison. XF is a friggin' bargain.

Kinda puts the price of XF into perspective, doesn't it? 🙂

This is why, while I still have that IC license, I chose to go XF rather than renew it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom