Why does XenForo have such a, uhm, conservative default font?

Cthulhux

Sorry if this question has already been asked a couple of times, I couldn't find an answer when searching though (there are many questions on how to change it though).

I perfectly understand the advantages of serif fonts, but why not a more modern one?

Why does the default font matter? It can be easily changed to suit your needs. Besides, some people like serif fonts.

If you don't like Georgia, you can easily fix it using the add-on Stylish for Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Code:
@-moz-document domain("xenforo.com") {
* { font-family: 'Trebuchet MS' !important; }
}

Change the font family to whatever you want, but just a note, I still haven't figured out how to make it affect the text when typing a response in the editor, as that's still Georgia.

Sorry if this question has already been asked a couple of times, I couldn't find an answer when searching though (there are many questions on how to change it though).

I perfectly understand the advantages of serif fonts, but why not a more modern one?
What would be your preference?

In serif, you mean?

Afta Serif or something similarly nice for texts, probably; Vollkorn for headers. :)

But probably I wouldn't even use serif fonts. There are quite a lot of good-looking sans-serif fonts which don't slow you down while reading.

11pt is way too small if you're using high resolution displays (MacBook Pro Retina for example).
I can't read anything on this website without zooming in at least 10%, preferably 25%.
It's true for desktops as well, that use 1920X1200 for example.

11pt is way too small if you're using high resolution displays (MacBook Pro Retina for example).
I can't read anything on this website without zooming in at least 10%, preferably 25%.

Easily fixable, again, for your own personal tastes with Stylish. Just add font-size: 12pt !important; after the semi colon in the code below, changing 12pt to whatever you want.

If you don't like Georgia, you can easily fix it using the add-on Stylish for Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Code:
@-moz-document domain("xenforo.com") {
* { font-family: 'Trebuchet MS' !important; }
}

Easily fixable, again, for your own personal tastes with Stylish. Just add font-size: 12pt !important; after the semi colon in the code below, changing 12pt to whatever you want.
I don't run an English based forum, so my font is completely different (and thus its size since it varies b/w fonts).
I was referring to XenForo.com

I can read it fine at that resolution. And that's with anti-aliasing on anti-aliasing on anti-aliasing with a touch of gaussian blur aka short sighted.

I'm not sure how small it becomes on 4k resolutions but with the resolution you mentioned the font is more than readable.

I don't run an English based forum, so my font is completely different (and thus its size since it varies b/w fonts).
I was referring to XenForo.com

I was talking about XenForo because that's what the thread's about, hence the title: "Why does XenForo have such a, uhm, conservative default font?"

Top Bottom