Why Do You Post Free Resources?

I would offer free and paid versions of products if I ever get down to not being lazy.

For example if I had made XenPortal (which I completely love!) I'd have made two different versions. I don't know if any of you are familiar with DragonByte on Vbulletin but I'd do it like them. Free Version/Pro Version.

If it's a simple add-on like adjusting postbits, adding trophy boxes, adding top 10 anything (simple read and sort code).... I'd give that away for free and update it when I see fit. Not that I have an issue with the existing programmers who've taken time to create these wonderful $1 add-ons... I just don't see any point to charging at all! lol But $1 does go a long way. I was once in the position where coding and developing was my only source for bread and bed :) (starving artist story).

I don't complain if it's free and I double, triple check my need for anything that I have to pay for. I already put $140 into the community and my staff has contributed at least another $100 for add-ons. We make no money from the site.

Off topic:

DragonByte and I don't play well with each other. Another modification placed their copyright above theirs and I guess they (DragonByte) do everything they can so that their copyright will always be on top (just below vBulletin's copyright, but above your own).... If you're going to argue placement... Expect bad results. :p

I started to release mass free open source alternatives to their products. Come to think about it, I have the habit of doing so whenever I think the market is flooded with too much paid stuff (as with IPB) or if the paid stuff is just silly (so simple, it shouldn't be paid).

For example, on IPB, something as stupid as this
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/background-highlight-for-links.642/

Would have cost you $5 :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

I don't think anyone should do business like they do business.

I would offer free and paid versions of products if I ever get down to not being lazy.

For example if I had made XenPortal (which I completely love!) I'd have made two different versions. I don't know if any of you are familiar with DragonByte on Vbulletin but I'd do it like them. Free Version/Pro Version.

If it's a simple add-on like adjusting postbits, adding trophy boxes, adding top 10 anything (simple read and sort code).... I'd give that away for free and update it when I see fit. Not that I have an issue with the existing programmers who've taken time to create these wonderful $1 add-ons... I just don't see any point to charging at all! lol But $1 does go a long way. I was once in the position where coding and developing was my only source for bread and bed :) (starving artist story).

I don't complain if it's free and I double, triple check my need for anything that I have to pay for. I already put $140 into the community and my staff has contributed at least another $100 for add-ons. We make no money from the site.
Just joined ya forum. Was your forum vBulletin before?

I like her. Too bad she has a husband, and lives worlds across. :(

But I can settle for being a friend. :D

My free resources, which over time there will be many little things, are purely for marketing purposes. Get people in with high quality free stuff to buy the paid products.

Let's not forget that software takes time and loads of energy to develop. Of course it's nice when people release it as open-source so that you get to enjoy it for free, but a lot of people take this for granted and seem to take offense to people asking money for their hard work. I'm all for open-source, in fact I am a huge supporter of open-source, but much like you can't expect a carpenter to come and renovate your house for free you can't expect software developers to just give away their software for free.

To me open-source software is not for end-users, rather it is for other developers to assist in creating better software. End-users often reap the benefits but the truth is if you're not contributing to open-source then you are lucky to be getting free software at all and you really shouldn't be "expecting" to get anything for free or complain when something costs you a very small portion of your monthly income.

For the record I'm talking in generic terms, I'm not addressing anyone in particular.

Off topic:

DragonByte and I don't play well with each other. Another modification placed their copyright above theirs and I guess they (DragonByte) do everything they can so that their copyright will always be on top (just below vBulletin's copyright, but above your own).... If you're going to argue placement... Expect bad results. :p

I started to release mass free open source alternatives to their products. Come to think about it, I have the habit of doing so whenever I think the market is flooded with too much paid stuff (as with IPB) or if the paid stuff is just silly (so simple, it shouldn't be paid).

For example, on IPB, something as stupid as this
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/background-highlight-for-links.642/

Would have cost you $5 :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

I don't think anyone should do business like they do business.
Yeah I know what you're talking about I just never got picky about that.
BUT the idea of a free and paid version is something I'd do.
If I add top 10 add-ons (basic crap) or the background highlights I'm just going to give it away for free! Really anyone who takes time to learn to program could probably do a lot of these basic add-ons within an hour... maybe even less. BUT some people are really lazy (like me...sorta).

Some peeps asked me why I've deleted some of my resources. If I've uploaded some files to a resource and see that it has zero downloads, I delete it. This has nothing to do with the Free Brogan Movement. I just started a new job so my priorities are focused on that. I'm not revolting against the system or anything like that. This site is weird as ****. Almost everything you do is scrutinized. People have also gotten on to me about uploading too many resources.

I create a lot of skins because I like playing around with Style Properties. It's my favorite new toy. It's way easier to create skins in xenforo than it was on my old vB4 forum. I post these skins because I can't put them on my own site due to xenforo's current memory limits. On my old vB4 site I had around 40 skins. On my xF site I can only fit around 10 skins with one extra language. Anything more than that slows down my site when installing or uninstalling something. It's really sad and in my humble opinion, the worst aspect of xenforo.

One of the reasons I post resources in the first place is because when converting my site over from vBulletin to xenForo, I learn a lot of things that I think are worth sharing. Besides creating new modifications, I took some of my favorite modifications from my old vB4 site and transferred em over to the new xF site. That's half of the reason why I have so many resources. I think I've already explained myself in the first post though.

Because I want this software to grow and become the best available, and in order to do that it has to be able to compete with others. The best way to do this is with as much free add-ons as possible. This goal is far more important for me than earning a few bucks.

BTW I do not believe in true altruism, like I said I'm doing this so I get a better script to use in the future. And ultimately I believe anyone providing something for free is doing it because it makes them a happier person.

A.) I didn't spend that much time on it to justify it to be paid(xf stop)

B.) I don't have the time to support it to justify me charging for it even though I've worked on it for quite some time(xfsmobile)

I really wish I.had more time period to release more styles to guys n gals, hopefully soon ill push some more out :)

A.) I didn't spend that much time on it to justify it to be paid(xf stop)

B.) I don't have the time to support it to justify me charging for it even though I've worked on it for quite some time(xfsmobile)

I really wish I.had more time period to release more styles to guys n gals, hopefully soon ill push some more out :)
Speaking of which, why not move the mobile theme back to Other Styles section since I moved most of mine out of that section?

Speaking of which, why not move the mobile theme back to Other Styles section since I moved most of mine out of that section?

I never actually moved it to be honest with you ;p, not sure who did that. I saw your post about it in your other thread and was thinking, hmmm, one of the mods are sneaky sneaky.

I never actually moved it to be honest with you ;p, not sure who did that.
Yeah it used to be there then someone moved it. I've noticed that it's easier to find your style if it's in the Other Styles section instead of digging through a bunch of skins just to find it in the Light Styles section.

I support free open source because there are some things I just don't believe people should need to pay for.

• Converters (any kind)
  • template edits (not saying complete skins, but rather xml or manual file edits or patches)
  • foolishness (say for example, charging a fee to add support per media.. ie... Youtube)
  • overpriced (beyond fair value or the affability of the average person)
  • excessive copyright (for example, adding to many links and even ads)
These things will and have prompt me to stat working toward developing or hiring someone to develop a free open source alternative.

You'd be surprised on how many people are willing to help you complete such goals (knowing they too will enjoy it freely). :)

Now with this said... There are many good developers who do make outstanding paid products and who I feel they should be supported. And I personally, have no desire in developing an alternative toward them.

How many free add-on developers have been approached with 'can you make it do this too, I'll pay'? You'd be surprised how much earning potential can come from releasing a free mod. I speak mainly from observation at this very website.

Top Bottom